• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mvelotas

Beach Comber
Aug 4, 2009
Miami..dammit!
I cannot understand why these two "Best Beach" sources would rate Daytona and South Beach as more beautiful than our SoWal and Destin Beaches! Obviously advertising dollars come into play. Everytime I introduce South Floridians (and even West Coasters) to this area, the first thing they say is: "I had no idea this existed!"

We need some sort of organized push to show ourselves off. But then, again, maybe we don't want a bigger summer crowd than we already have. Just aggravates me to see us occasionally mentioned. We have the most beautiful, natural beaches in the country!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Several beaches in the panhandle here have been designated best by him, including Grayton Beach in 1994. He is basically going down the list until he has awarded every beach which doesn't have oil wells in sight.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
I agree that the beaches from Pensacola to PCB are much more beautiful than those in South Beach, the Keys, and certainly anything on the East Coast! Sanibel was fairly pretty, I hear Clearwater is pretty as well as Anna Maria Island which is on my to do list. But I'm also thinking that those magazines and tv shows can just keep it to themselves-the paradise of the panhandle is full enough each summer!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I cannot understand why these two "Best Beach" sources would rate Daytona and South Beach as more beautiful than our SoWal and Destin Beaches! Obviously advertising dollars come into play. Everytime I introduce South Floridians (and even West Coasters) to this area, the first thing they say is: "I had no idea this existed!"

We need some sort of organized push to show ourselves off. But then, again, maybe we don't want a bigger summer crowd than we already have. Just aggravates me to see us occasionally mentioned. We have the most beautiful, natural beaches in the country!
Correction. Make that the world.

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
in Oct. we were on the beach in Grayton when a couple walked up to us and asked how we found that beach, it was paradise. I just told them to not tell any one else.

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
I think Dr Beach states that he will never select the same beach more than once for his recognition.