• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
Is the property located along the intracoastal waterway between Santa Rosa and PCB accessable. I was just wondering why development has never gone there. In other areas, property along the intracoastal is highly desireable, especially to boaters. I have been back through there once by boat and it is pretty cool.

Also I read somewhere that there used to be ... or maybe still is a ferry that would cross the intracoastal somewhere near Point Washington. I dont know where it would go though. It looks like mostly marsh land to me. If anyone knows the history of this area I would be interested to know more.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
DuneDog said:
Is the property located along the intracoastal waterway between Santa Rosa and PCB accessable. I was just wondering why development has never gone there. In other areas, property along the intracoastal is highly desireable, especially to boaters. I have been back through there once by boat and it is pretty cool.

Also I read somewhere that there used to be ... or maybe still is a ferry that would cross the intracoastal somewhere near Point Washington. I dont know where it would go though. It looks like mostly marsh land to me. If anyone knows the history of this area I would be interested to know more.
Mostly, it is owned by St Joe and the State Parks. It is accessible.

The ferry used to run between Pt Washington and Sunset Point in "Devil's Swamp." Now, to get to Sunset Pt, you have to drive to Hwy 79 in PCB, then turn off on Steel Field Rd and drive all the way back to the Choct. Bay. Only a handfull of lots over there presently.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
Smiling JOe said:
Mostly, it is owned by St Joe and the Walton County. It is accessible.

The ferry used to run between Pt Washington and Sunset Point in "Devil's Swamp." Now, to get to Sunset Pt, you have to drive to Hwy 79 in PCB, then turn off on Steel Field Rd and drive all the way back to the Choct. Bay. Only a handfull of lots over there presently.

When I get time I might make the long ride to get there. It sounds pretty secluded ... might suit me just fine.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
After double checking the County's site, I stand corrected. St Joe owns all of the Intercoastal frontage property from around Peach Creek in Pt Washington to Lake Powell, in PCB, and I believe they own most of the property all the way to West Bay and the new airport location.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the land was under a permanent conservation easement for tax pruposes. There's a lot of private land in that area that's covered under those sorts of agreements.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
St Joe has an industrial park in that property, and WaterSound North is also being developed in some of that property.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
beachmouse said:
I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the land was under a permanent conservation easement for tax pruposes. There's a lot of private land in that area that's covered under those sorts of agreements.

What exactly does a conservation easement cover. Is it just land that nothing happens on and you can't trespass, or can you for example lease hunting rights or grant some other sort of public access such as nature trails for hiking, camping etc?