• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Let's have Jai Alai

I understand what you are saying as well. Unfortunately in Florida to have a card room you have to have either A) a dog track or B) Native American heritage. I think you can also have one with a jai alai operation.
Like on the opening credits of Miami Vice! Now that would be cool. I would go to Ebro to see that for sure. What crazy regulations we have, must be a lobbyist somewhere doing his/her job very well.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
True but actually in order to have poker and slot machines you have to have dog racing too. Stupid thing is the poker and machines bring in LOTS more money than the dog racing. Again, how stupid is that?

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
Laws and regulations can be changed, yes?

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
Why would he sneak them to you? Based on your accounts why wouldn't the owners/trainers leave them in the parking lot?

I understand that there is a stigma associated with racing dogs. However, at the same time, I have to ask have you ever walked a greyhound without a leash? These dogs are bread to do what they do and it's even more cruel to entrust them to a 'forever home' that kennels them or lives in an area where the dog cannot run. It's akin to taking a chef out of a restaurant and serving them Hamburger Helper for the rest of there lives.

This entire incident was the work of one individual who went out of his way to cover up what he was doing.

The management at Ebro is distraught over this, not due to the negative publicity, but due to the treatment of the dogs. They are in the process of correcting the supervision of the dogs.

If you don't agree then by all means continue to raise hell and protest, keep in mind that Ebro is one of the largest employers in that area and many families will be affected by your snap judgment.

To clear up a few things. The trainer who would "sneak" the dogs to me was given instructions to destroy the dogs by their respective owners. Yes, I have walked many greyhounds, taught them what stairs were all about and that you can't walk through glass.

You do not "kennel" a pet, and these dogs are actually a bit lazy and quite content to just to hang out wih you.

Many vet clinics have a resident greyhound as a blood donor. Greyhounds are the only breed that is a universal donor, so they also save the lives of other dogs. Hope this does not come across as "raising hell and protest", just wanted to have my say.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Your friend who snuck you the dogs would have done better to inform the authorities IMO.

I saw one of the dogs (who will live) on the news last night and wanted to puke. Anyone who ever came within 200 feet of this dog or its fellow sufferers would immediately know something was wrong, so I find it VERY hard to believe the owners at Ebro and everyone else involved was truly unaware of the situation.

My guess is that many blind eyes were turned and these animals suffered horribly as a result.

I don't own greyhounds, but friends do and while they are lovely dogs I find the idea that they are inactive and good as apartment dogs hilarious. They are literally a blur as they do laps around the room or yard. :love:

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
I've adopted greyhounds in the past, mainly because when I lived in florida in the 90's (St. Pete area) stories like this one were very common. It was usually some poor phone company worker that would stumble onto a mass grave.

For those of you who let your greys run off their leash... you have been very lucky. Yes, these beautiful spirits do make devoted and loyal pets BUT they are do have an inherent urge to run. They are sight hounds and for centuries used as hunting dogs. A greyhound can see almost a mile away. If they spot something in that distance, you better believe they are going after it. If and when they stop...many times they can not find their way back home.

There are 3 very reputable rescue agencies in the St. Louis area, REGAP and Rescued Racers and Greyhound Companions....ALL 3 require you sign a contract stating that under no circumstances will you to just let your grey run outside of an enclosed area. They will take your dog back if they find this to be the case.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Laws and regulations can be changed, yes?
Or, as others suggest, you boycott the crap out of Ebro to show dog tracks owners, trainers, breeders, etc, and employees that they shouldn't treat animals inhumanly, or allow it to continue once seen. Their jobs are at risk, just like every other industry. That will wake them up much faster than any government regulation.

Last edited:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Your friend who snuck you the dogs would have done better to inform the authorities IMO.

I saw one of the dogs (who will live) on the news last night and wanted to puke. Anyone who ever came within 200 feet of this dog or its fellow sufferers would immediately know something was wrong, so I find it VERY hard to believe the owners at Ebro and everyone else involved was truly unaware of the situation.

My guess is that many blind eyes were turned and these animals suffered horribly as a result.

I don't own greyhounds, but friends do and while they are lovely dogs I find the idea that they are inactive and good as apartment dogs hilarious. They are literally a blur as they do laps around the room or yard. :love:

Ours were couch potatoes. All they wanted was a comfortable place to sleep. One was 3 when he was adopted. One was 4 four when he was found on the side of the road by my stepmother. He fell out of the back of a an owners truck and the owner left him for dead. I don't think these two had any run left in them. They each lived 9 more years with my parents.

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.

I just happened upon a trainer with a heart. The "authorities" are a misguided state run cluster. They know all too well that over 13,000 dogs are destroyed each year nationwide.