• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
With a constant Gulf breeze, it seems very stubborn not to harness the power of the wind. Two words - Big Oil. Visually, I happen to like the looks of windmills. I would rather have a windmill generating power than solar panels. Somewhere along the way, we have lost our path and are corrupting our environment without care and concern. We get too busy lost in the vicious cycle of making money to pay the bills.

Recently, I read an article about some R & D guys creating wind-powered wi-fi stations to help connect the world, regadless of power lines ran in the area. The thought of such things facinates me somewhat.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I think they are very pretty- they look like birds. And instead of pooping on us like real birds or Big Oil, they are very useful!

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I could see a massive Exxon tanker plowing through the wind turbines.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Windmill farms are a good energy alternative, but the windmills chew up a lot of birds and they also make a lot of noise. Choices, choices...I choose using less energy.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Donna said:
Windmill farms are a good energy alternative, but the windmills chew up a lot of birds and they also make a lot of noise. Choices, choices...I choose using less energy.
Wouldn't more chopped birds be good for the fish hovering below?:dunno:

Just kidding. I've been around the old school windmills that were operating and never heard a sound. How loud are the ones to which you refer, Donna, and what do they sound like?

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
Donna said:

I dont know about the birds but who is going to be listening 50 miles offshore?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
DuneDog said:
I dont know about the birds but who is going to be listening 50 miles offshore?
She is probably referring to my post regarding my thoughts of using a windmill to power my home, and general thought of doing this all over the place instead of only off shore. If we each had a windmill, maybe we would reduce the need to pay the electric company so much money. The electric companies would supplement our power as needed. I wonder what my neighborhood would sound like if each home had one of these?

As for the windmills chewing up birds, they would have a difficult time doing so in my neighborhood which has very, very, very few birds, probably having something to do with the pesticides killing many of the insects which the birds may eat and the pesticides covering the seeds or fruits which the birds may eat, thereby killing the birds. :dunno:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Bob said:
I could see a massive Exxon tanker plowing through the wind turbines.

I know I shouldn't laugh but I am. The visuals! :eek: The sheer irony of it! :eek: :eek: It's hysterical.

Having said that, I agree with jdarg that they're pretty and graceful looking. And anything that goes toward protecting an environment as lovely as the one we're blessed with should be looked into, tankers notwithstanding.