• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

njackie

Beach Lover
Nov 18, 2004
wow, I just feel so badly about all of this, we had no idea the dogs were being mistreated, we look forward to Ebro each summer, my grandchildren love the "kid races," and the people were nice with the ice cream. it is all too horrific and we won't go back.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
My friend who had a pair always said they were about 98% couch potato, but every so often loved to go out in their (smallish fenced) backyard and tear it up in tight circles as fast as they could corner for what seemed like forever.

I can verify this. I have known a couple and they were very calm and sweet but would run when allowed. Kind of like kids. :D

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
I'm not a vet, but in humans, over sleeping or extended periods of sleeping is usually a sign of depression.

yes, in HUMANS. i would encourage you to do some research on greyhounds before making all kinds of erroneous assertions about them. they are frequently referred to as "45 mph couch potatoes" for a reason. they do not need a lot of exercise. as you stated, you are NOT a vet.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Did you guys read the link someone posted? IMO the way these dogs are typically treated EVEN WHEN REGULATED is definitely cruel and unnecessary. Several states and countries have already banned it - I think Florida should too.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
yes, in HUMANS. i would encourage you to do some research on greyhounds before making all kinds of erroneous assertions about them. they are frequently referred to as "45 mph couch potatoes" for a reason. they do not need a lot of exercise. as you stated, you are NOT a vet.

It was an opinion/observation. If grey hounds behaved like you no one would be concerned about their welfare.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
I haven't seen a greyhound for several years, until this afternnon! I saw a couple walking their two greyhounds in WaterColor. Very mild mannered, well behaved dogs. Both dogs had their tales tucked under their legs. I couldn't help but think that they were probably rescues.

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
Murray, most if not all that we see in public are rescues. The tail tucking is a common stance for this hound, however when really really excited and happy they can clear a coffee table with one swipe. No tall candles at tail level for these guys. Just had a thought...has anyone ever seen a greyhound advertised for sale or at a shelter? I have only seen them taken in by the numerous rescue groups who are so very dedicated to this breed and determined to find them a good home.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
Murray, most if not all that we see in public are rescues. The tail tucking is a common stance for this hound, however when really really excited and happy they can clear a coffee table with one swipe. No tall candles at tail level for these guys. Just had a thought...has anyone ever seen a greyhound advertised for sale or at a shelter? I have only seen them taken in by the numerous rescue groups who are so very dedicated to this breed and determined to find them a good home.

Most greyhound rescue orgs request that if you cannot keep the dog for any reason, that you return it to them. The shelters in our area will call one of the rescue groups if a grey is brought to the shelter.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
There are two Greyhounds now at Alaqua. I may contact GPA/EC about that and they are the organization that started the ball rolling on the monster of a trainer, Williams. I am in contact with a gentleman who is on the Board of GPA/EC since we got our Greyhound from that organization. I cannot say enough good things about them and they have placed just this year over 700 dogs from Ebro and Pensacola Greyhound track. And that is saying something in this current economy when most people are getting rid of their pets! Thanks for the above two posts and will just let them know.