• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I saw this on Brian Williams tonight. Scary!

Beauty hunter

Beach Fanatic
May 3, 2009
Please don't read this unless you are a glutton for tmi:eek:
In a nutshell I am not interested in eating seafood until I believe it is being grown and monitored correctly. Proceed if you must:sharkfin:
After the mass mishandling of the gulf oil spill, I'm not eating gulf or foreign seafood caught recently until someone that has integrity publishes the results of tested water and seafood for at least several years.

Some of these toxic chemicals in our waters all over the world take up residence in your body and compromise your immune system over a period of time.

I'm not a guinea pig, nor do I intend to be a lab rat for government testing after the fact.
Many government offices that cover this field have proven their ignorance or turned their heads repeatedly and are swayed by corporate funding.
I certainly am not taking their word for the safety of local or foreign seafood until the American citizens are shown the info that is needed for them to decide for themselves if it is safe or not.

Take their word for it, yeah right.

If you would not eat shrimp out of your toilet, you might want to find out the conditions your seafood is grown in.

Does anyone remember when some of our food from Mexico was found to be growing in human feces?
FDA Survey of Imported Fresh Produce FY 1999 Field Assignment
Shigella is on the biological weapons list.:shock:
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Biological_weapons]Category:Biological weapons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shigella]Shigella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

What is in the water our seafood is living in? Are you willing to take someone else's word for it, or do you prefer proof?
Seafood Network Information Center
Just because you can't see the toxins doesn't mean it isn't there.
You can't see the wind either, only the effect the wind makes.

The location of where our food is grown should be listed, pics of the growing area should be included on the packaging, any chemicals, fertilizers, antibiotics, hormones, etc., or nearby potential pollutants should be documented.

This would be one of the first phases of America's health plan- PREVENTION

Beauty Hunter, I've talked to another SoWaller who hasn't eaten seafood for years due to what it swims in.

But from what the reporters were saying about imported seafood, there is little that the U.S. government is doing to protect us from imported fish and seafood full of antibiotics so they won't die from waters contaminated with E. coli. :eek: The reporters suggested to always ask for the country of origin if you buy seafood, even in restaurants.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Particularly, the seafood we import from Vietnam....or, was it Thailand? This is pretty gross, but basically, their infrastructure dumps waste into the fishing waters and then they inject the caught fish with very high doses of antibiotics (and, some toxic chemicals) to keep them alive and go to market. :shock: They also reported that 80% of the seafood here is imported. I've heard different figures regarding this, but I still question the Gulf of Mexico seafood as well.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Much of the seafood you get from overseas is on par with other products you get from overseas and just as well regulated. :roll:

Even wild caught fish are building up chemicals in their systems - from pollution, medication, and plastics - increasing the further up the food chain you go.

The best thing we can do to improve our food is to drastically reduce our consumption of plastic and oil and educate ourselves about where it comes from, how it is raised, and what chemicals are in it. Then vote with your pocketbook.

zip3

Beach Lover
Jul 24, 2010
I think all the grouper sandwiches we get locally are really just frozen slabs from who knows where. They never taste fresh if you are a local. Maybe we can do a shout out for all the local restaurants to post that their fish and shrimp are local. Of course how do we know now safe is our oil contaminated seafood? As consumers we deserve better.