• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Underthebluemoon- here's the deal so you know why the red flags were going up everywhere-

You want to bring your dog to the beach. That is great. We would all bring our dogs to the beach if the conditions were right for it. The person renting the house to you is probably not going to get excited when they read your post about Capture. You said yourself that Russell "has a traveling jones and frequently masterminds escapes". I guarantee that won't go over well with the neighbors. Or the neighborhood dogs, and I see several running around every day when I am there. For many years, the same dogs would come "visit" us-they are out there, but they are "locals", so what are ya gonna do? :dunno:

The posts you disagree with were looking out for fellow property owners, and that is not a bad thing. You had given out enough information to cause some eyebrows to go up. There is a reason why there are not a kazillion pet-friendly rentals.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
UBM, I understand your point. Having a highly neurotic dog (that goes through human contact withdrawals after I have been home for a while), I have the same problem. Most pet owners are responsible, and I watch my dogs more than most people watch their children on vacation. My dogs do not eat on the furniture or in the bedroom. My dogs do not throw their toys and break things. My dogs do not spill cherry or grape drink all over the place. They are bathed weekly and have no problemd with parasites. Yes they do pooh, but I clean up after them with tissue and a ziploc bag.

When I leave Maggie home, I get a housesitter. Staying boarded just causes her to chew and create long term problems. Keep looking and you will find a great place. VRBO seems to have some good choices. Enjoy your taking your four-legged family with you!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Underthebluemoon, I feel your pain. Most dog owners that love their dog enough to take them on a vacation probably have well behaved dogs. I can understand why some people would not want to allow pets in their rental homes. I happen to think that most dogs can be cleaner than many people. Afterall, they don't require a housekeeper to clean the bathroom and kitchen.;-) Dog hair trapped in carpet would be a problem with my dogs. It stays in place very well. That is why I would not have carpet in a rental home I owned, and I would allow dogs. That does not get around the allergy issue, but I think there are few enough rentals down here, that one could rent to dog lovers only so that people know what they are getting.

I wish I had a long list of pet friendly rentals in the area, but I do not think there are that many. I would love to create a list to give to people, but so far, I have seen only a couple posted on this board. Have you tried googling pet friendly rentals and see what comes up?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
And I'm not saying I don't feel her pain. I love my dogs, and working out their care while I am gone is the #1 priority, invovles a lot of work and money. This was a little bit different- many of us felt that she may have been asking a bit much considering the info she shared about her pet. The people on this board love to help people find places to stay, and I would say 98% have dogs. We started out by offering alternatives to bringing Russell to the beach- had she exhausted all the possibilites? That didn't go well either.

Last night around 11:30-ish, posts # 31 and #32 were actually posts by underthebluemoon- posts that were deleted by her at about 11:30. My last post was in response to these 2 last posts. Of course, my post made more sense when read after her 2, but :dunno:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
This thread has gone to the dogs.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Blue Moon: I think it's very hard for people to understand each other through these message boards because it's hard to read people's faces, ask questions quickly, get a sense of who the people are (for example, people would know what kind of pet owner you are if they knew you, but it's hard to tell on a message board). I personally am naive about dogs other than I like dogs whose owners manage them well and I don't like dogs whose owners don't manage them well. And that's why a message board is difficult for these types of recommendations (and other discussions as well sometimes).

I've seen people in rentals who have the most fantastic pets and who seem to be taking care of the property very well and others who make me ecstatic that I don't rent our property to pets. And, as I said, there's no way of knowing how you personally manage your dog (just like I can say I have kids, but people have no way of knowing how I manage my kids unless they know me or the kids). I think the "dog" threads can get a lot of diverse opinions because people have seen well-managed dogs and poorly managed dogs in the area.

By the way, go on VRBO and look at beach communities in this area (Seacrest, Seagrove, Grayton, and all the others) and they have a little "paw print" by the name of the rentals that are dog friendly.

Anyway, I hope you don't stop posting because you certainly asked your questions and made your comments with good-will and that's always of benefit to an online community!