• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
New Airport Passenger Traffic UP 170% over 2009

In case you?ve been wondering whether the construction of the new airport was in vain, 2010 passenger traffic since the new airport has been open is almost triple what it was in 2009, during the 2010 summer months. Despite the threat of oil on our beaches, the new Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport and all the marketing horsepower that was brought to the market by Southwest Airlines has been considered a huge success.

A normal July and August usually brings about 30,000 people per month through the old Panama City airport, but this summer there was around 83,000 per month. This number comes as a huge welcome and leaves immense speculation: what would it have been like had we NOT had the oil spill scare?

Icing on the cake was October?s numbers, 73,000 passengers came through the new airport ? attributed to fall breaks around the country, national holidays and a series of successful fall events on Panama City Beach.

As if increased traffic wasn?t enough, the new Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport seems to be drawing travelers regionally as well. The parking lot frequently has cars from Tallahassee, Dothan, Ft. Walton, Destin, and even Pensacola. The July and August numbers were also higher than Tallahassee?s passenger traffic numbers, for the first time ever ? who normally come in at around 50,000 per month.

The word seems to be getting out that traveling to Panama City Beach is easier than it has ever been. Mike Bennet, TDC Chairman and local restaurateur commented at Tuesday?s TDC meeting of a conversation he had with a visitor to one of his restaurants: ?They were from Dallas, TX and normally took their beach vacation in Corpus Christi, and were surprised at how accessible and beautiful Panama City Beach was ? they said they?d be coming back every year.? This message was resounded by others recounting similar stories with customers.

Total annual traffic is now expected to be around 600,000 to 700,000 at the new Panama City Airport, which isn?t far off from big-city Pensacola, who passes around a million travelers through its gates every year.

port albert

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Amazing

If my calculations are correct the two carriers operating from ECp are filling about 75% of their available seats. Based on 11 Delta regional jet landings per day and 8 Southwest landings per day I figure that there are about 113,000 seats per month. If they filled 83,000 of them they are doing amazingly well for a new service.

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
Definitely good news for the area.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
We used ECP for the first time this week. I can tell you that the plane from Houston to ECP was packed to the rafters. I sat next to a guy who was on a business trip to Pensacola. The plane was leaving ECP to go to Nashville then Chicago, and they announced that the flight out would be full. Leaving the long term parking lot I noticed that there was so much demand that people actually were parking long term on the shoulder going up to the pay booth. Very busy little airport.:clap:

I have to say the word still isn't out on our little corner of the world. In Dallas we told people where we were from and most tried to relate it to 'somewhere near Tampa'. They sure were impressed when I showed them some pics of our beaches on my iPhone!