• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
DuneDog said:
This would also create great structure for recreational fisherman.

I don't know a lot about fishing- but would it be the same principal as fish around piers? Do they tend to gather around structures?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
jdarg said:
I don't know a lot about fishing- but would it be the same principal as fish around piers? Do they tend to gather around structures?

Bingo! We have a winner! :lol: Yes, fish hang out around structure of any kind. (even oil wells in the Gulf)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Bingo! We have a winner! :lol: Yes, fish hang out around structure of any kind. (even oil wells in the Gulf)

Believe it or not, I can bait my own hook and take my own fish off the hook, because for some reason, fish like me, and like to go home with me. But my question is really not ansered- why do the fish hang out at piers, etc. More food falling in the water? Protection? I had never really thought about this before.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
jdarg said:
Believe it or not, I can bait my own hook and take my own fish off the hook, because for some reason, fish like me, and like to go home with me. But my question is really not ansered- why do the fish hang out at piers, etc. More food falling in the water? Protection? I had never really thought about this before.
I did not realize that you were asking why. Yes, they hang out around structures for protection, and the bigger ones come in for dinner.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
jdarg said:

Small fish seek any structure for cover and protection from larger predators. They also feed on the barnicles and other stuff that grows on the platforms legs.

If there are small fish, then big ones are not far.

beachkids

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Pick your poison. Oil rigs, wind turbines or solar panels. Everybody has their preference. Frankly, the bash "big oil" mantra has gotten old with me. We can blame no one else for the energy situation. We all want to cry about oil prices, pollution, etc. but we still climb into our luxury cars and crank up the AC at the beach house. I am trying to become more self-sufficient and will look to an alternate source/solar power when I build another house. I try to live on a budget and I hate paying big $ for fuel to fill up the car so I do my best to use less. I do not want any oil rigs on the Florida coast, but I don't think I can complain if I don't live accordingly.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
As a follow up......

I was in Toronto last week and saw they have installed a huge wind turbine on the lake shore. Most interestingly, it was funded by a joint patnership between the local power company and a private co-op. Shareholders in the co-op earn an annual dividend from the sale of the elecricity the turbine produces.

It is a 750 kW turbine (about enough to power about 250 homes) and stands 30 storeys high.

http://www.torontohydro.com/corporate/initiatives/green_power/wind_turbine/index.cfm

http://www.trec.on.ca/windshare/

The turbine was manufactured by a dutch company and cost about 1.6 million to purchase and install. Apparently, in Europe it is becoming common for private co-ops to install wind turbines to power neighborhoods, etc.

Anyone think there is a future for this sort of enterprise here in sowal?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
With some of the beach communities, eg- Seaside, Rosemary Bch, Alys Bch, gaining world-wide prestige for neighborhood design, I think something like this would be great, and could be asthetically pleasing and interesting. Alys Bch, being so green-minded, should have been all over this long ago. Why shouldn't they set the bar?

Storm approaching, collapse the blades on the windmill. Storm passes, pop them back up.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Intersesting discussion. I'd personally rather see a few birds flying way offshore get chopped up then have the entire planet become uninhabitable due to global warming. Any ideas about alternative energy is a great thing.

Wondering how thick the windmills are and whether they would hold up to major-hurricane force winds? Or would a Cat 4-5 storm be a good thing for energy production? :funn:

Twelve years ago I used to make the drive through the Coachella Valley every day from Yucca Valley, Calif., to work in Riverside. The sight of the wind farms on that drive always made me catch my breath. They don't look weird to me; there's something peaceful and majestic about them. Goofy I know.