• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I attended the South Walton Planning Commission?s meeting this evening with 77 letters in hand from concerned residents about the proposed restaurant, 723 Whisky Bravo" which is set to replace the Wheel House. The residents asked the board to address additional parking issues for the site and traffic flow. Specifically, many Seagrove homeowners do not want the restaurant exiting its traffic through Old Seagrove onto Grove Street and Gardenia St. I presented 20 pages of photos of the narrow roadways, made suggestions and presented objections to basically be ignored and shown that they don?t care what we think. My final statement to the board was to request the project be denied until they meet with surrounding neighbors and county planning staff to come up with a plan which not only worked for the developers but also for the neighbors. Well, they approved the plan because it meets the minimum county requirements and ignored any requests from the residents. I guess we have a battle on our hands. I'm asking for your help. The next meeting will be the county commissioners meeting. Please send me a letter via E-mail objecting to the development as it stands until they can come up with a plan that not only satisfies their needs but also addresses the neighbors? issues of parking and traffic flow.
I can be reached at Jon@GoToTheBeach.net 850-231-3344
Thanks for the help. I want to have 500 letters when I address the county commissioners.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Letters are one thing, but warm bodies are even better. Especially considering that both of our commissioners are up for reelection in 2012.

Let them know ahead of time by blowing up their phones, filling up their mail boxes, and crashing their computers with emails:

Scott Brannon (R), District 1 Commissioner
Brannon160.jpg

District Office:
415 Highway 20
Freeport, FL 32439

(850) 835-4860
Fax (850) 835-4836
brascott@co.walton.fl.us

Cecilia Jones (R), District 5 Commissioner
Cecilia%20Jones%20160.jpg

District Office:
70 Logan Lane
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459

(850) 231-2978
Fax (850) 231-3872
joncecilia@co.walton.fl.us

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
Simma SWGB! The gov cannot stop a project if it obides by the law. perhaps youd like immenent domain instead?

For the record, I dont want to see this project either and I will attend the meeting to get feedback. Having traffic on those roads would be terrible...and dangerous. I use those roads during the summer traffic. Unfortunately, I dont see an alternative to the problem other than eliminating the project which isnt and shouldnt happen, or gate these roads off.

Walton Cnty has done a fantastic job for the most part up until now brining about responsible progress. This is yet another doozey of a decision for them to make.

Lets all be present for the meeting and see what our options are before we start playing political activist shall we?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I read his post quite differently - he merely suggested that a barrage of emails and calls prior to the meeting and bodies at the meeting would be more effective than letters at the meeting.

Especially to politicians up for election.

And IMO, Walton County does not have a stellar record for making sure commercial developments do not disrupt residential neighborhoods or that parking requirements fit actual usage.

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
I read his post quite differently - he merely suggested that a barrage of emails and calls prior to the meeting and bodies at the meeting would be more effective than letters at the meeting.

Especially to politicians up for election.

And IMO, Walton County does not have a stellar record for making sure commercial developments do not disrupt residential neighborhoods or that parking requirements fit actual usage.

For government work, walton cnty has done a great job considering. zoning in this area was not ready for the boom and commissioners could only do so much. no doubt they could have done better but compared to any other community Id say we're looking pretty good. And the private sector that had some pride played a large part as well. There will always be those who are looking out for themselves over all else

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Simma SWGB! The gov cannot stop a project if it obides by the law. perhaps youd like immenent domain instead?

For the record, I dont want to see this project either and I will attend the meeting to get feedback. Having traffic on those roads would be terrible...and dangerous. I use those roads during the summer traffic. Unfortunately, I dont see an alternative to the problem other than eliminating the project which isnt and shouldnt happen, or gate these roads off.

Walton Cnty has done a fantastic job for the most part up until now brining about responsible progress. This is yet another doozey of a decision for them to make.

Lets all be present for the meeting and see what our options are before we start playing political activist shall we?

Imminent domain exists very heavily in this country. Thank you SCOTUS. I was merely pointing out that one person with a stack of paper isn't nearly as effective as the methods mentioned above.

As to your comment of Simma Down, hell no I won't. This is still a representative democracy the last time I checked, if the people don't speak up, and voice their opinions to their representatives; then you get things like The Chateau, giant condos the infrastructure can't support, and grid lock due to incompatible projects.

Once again you are looking at the immediate situation with no concern for tomorrow. Yes, this project will probably create an influx of cash and jobs, long term it's going to cost us all in taxes to upgrade the surrounding roads, lawsuits, etc.

I never said that people should lobby to have the BCC reject the project, I'm sure the owners lawyer has the paperwork ready to file to sue. However they can send it back to the planning commission for further review.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
"blowing up phones" and "crashing computers?" I'm all for sending in my share of voice, but in this representative democracy, each person gets one vote, and shouldn't attempt to blow up phones or crash commissioners' computers, since that will keep other people from being able to voice their opinion in this representative democracy. What you suggest takes away people's voice, not express it.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
"blowing up phones" and "crashing computers?" I'm all for sending in my share of voice, but in this representative democracy, each person gets one vote, and shouldn't attempt to blow up phones or crash commissioners' computers, since that will keep other people from being able to voice their opinion in this representative democracy. What you suggest takes away people's voice, not express it.

I should have clarified that the volume of individuals calling and emailing would do that.