• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Discovering Walton's past: Archeologist wants to record lost communities of county | defuniak, walton, discovering - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

All across Walton County are traces of ancestry, heritage and history waiting to be found, and local archeologist Gregory Mikell thinks he is up to the challenge.

Mikell, who has worked in Walton County for years, is beginning the process to move forward with discovering and documenting the lost communities of Walton County.

?I?ve been wanting to do an archeological study in Walton County for years,? Mikell said. ?In doing historic background, I?ve gathered some data and found that there really are some lost towns.

?I want to try and get the funding and landowner permission to go to these places and see what we can find out.?

:cool:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Interesting - but I can't help but wonder:
"How much money is this going to cost?"
"What happens if you let this guy dig on your property and he finds something he deems "historic"?
"And why is Brannon pushing it?"

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
Thanks for posting this. I very much look forward to his findings and Im not sure I care much about the cost. History is priceless

Scooterbug, it clearly says all commissioners are in support. Only Brannon gave a public statement on behalf of all of them. Just saying....

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
History may be priceless, but given the current state of the budgets, I would like to know the actual cost.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Like any academic research, archaeology projects can be funded by grants. To do a project correctly is actually pretty expensive but getting a start in the archives and digging test plots is cheap, assuming enough good hearted volunteers step forward to help.

I would have to assume this gentleman is doing this with the cooperation and knowledge of the UWF archaeology department. One thing you have to watch for is someone calling themselves an 'archaeologist' who is actually looking to score some cool relics for personal use. A true archaeologist is interested in answering some question about the past and publishing a paper on their findings, being devoted to relic preservation for the public good, respecting burial sites, etc. Relic hunters can really screw things up by cherry picking goodies that ultimately prevent a true understanding of a site from being appreciated.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Like any academic research, archaeology projects can be funded by grants. To do a project correctly is actually pretty expensive but getting a start in the archives and digging test plots is cheap, assuming enough good hearted volunteers step forward to help.

I would have to assume this gentleman is doing this with the cooperation and knowledge of the UWF archaeology department. One thing you have to watch for is someone calling themselves an 'archaeologist' who is actually looking to score some cool relics for personal use. A true archaeologist is interested in answering some question about the past and publishing a paper on their findings, being devoted to relic preservation for the public good, respecting burial sites, etc. Relic hunters can really screw things up by cherry picking goodies that ultimately prevent a true understanding of a site from being appreciated.
yeah, and most of them are associated with a university of an institution of some sort...perhaps this person is; if so, I find it strange that his creds were not published with the news story...and if he has ""been working in Walton County for years", I wonder why we are just hearing about him.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Scooterbug, it clearly says all commissioners are in support. Only Brannon gave a public statement on behalf of all of them. Just saying....

Yes, but he rarely gives any kind of public statement.

I smell foreclosure avoidance scam.