• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
No, you can keep bears away - by not ATTRACTING them.

Don't leave garbage out, don't fill your birdfeeders, don't leave food out, and clean up any fruit that falls from trees, and you remove any reason for bears to visit you.

Garbage is the #1 reason bears are visiting your neighborhood.

Don't fill your birdfeeders? I guess that should be, don't have birdfeeders because what's the point of having them if they're empty? I'll never give up my birdfeeders. But i don't worry about bears, my yard is fenced in with a huge Rott standing guard 24/7. :wave:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I said 'don't fill them' because certain times of year are more of an issue - so if you really like the birds, you can still have birdfeeders.

Birdfeeders are minor attractions considering the massive garbage buffet in most Sowal neighborhoods.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I Thought about the wording after i posted... that maybe what you meant was ' don't FILL them to the top!' :lol: My birds get very little at a time due to the squirrels binging until it's gone. :roll:

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
What about those of us that run/hike on the Pt Washington State Forest Eastern lake Trails (during the non-hunting seasons of course)? If on a mountain bike, I could probably outrun a disturbed bear charging me, but I've hear they can go faster than an 8-10 mph running pace.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
What about those of us that run/hike on the Pt Washington State Forest Eastern lake Trails
FWC - What do you do if you encounter a bear?

There has never been a recorded attack of a black bear on a person in Florida. I think people hear "bear" and freak out, thinking of grizzlies. Our bears are not grizzlies! Go ahead and enjoy your walks/runs.
Personally I worry more about meeting up with a wild pig in the forest. :eek:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I know the last time we stayed in Magnolia in October, something kept, making the outside security light come on during the night.

Probably raccoons.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
FWC - What do you do if you encounter a bear?

There has never been a recorded attack of a black bear on a person in Florida. I think people hear "bear" and freak out, thinking of grizzlies. Our bears are not grizzlies! Go ahead and enjoy your walks/runs.
Personally I worry more about meeting up with a wild pig in the forest. :eek:

Thanks for the link on bear encounter tips; my only concern is if I'm running along, minding my own business, and don't see the bear but the bear sees me "running away" and I have therefore violated one of the tips (about not "running away"). I won't have any food to offer or weapons to defend, just an iPod and some Nikes. The good thing is that an attack has never happened in FL, so the odds are probably on my side there. And I am more concerned about the wild hogs as well as rattle snakes.

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
I am more fearful of snakes than gators or bears. And I bet snakes are more plentiful on and around 30A than gators, bears and bobcats combined. All of nature's creatures have a place - I just want to stay out of their way!