• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
OMG! One of the suspected groups of kids CALLED me. I happened to remember the name from the email. An 18-yo-sounding voice said, "I'd totally like to rent your house for the first week of March. Is it, like, rented? It looks awesome!" I said that it is unavailable then (internal voice saying "to you"), but I haven't updated the calendar recently (that's true).

OMG, like, tote-ully :rotfl:

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Last year at this time bookings were a bit slow but heated up quickly for spring break and summer, and everyone was saying 2010 was going to be a huge year for rentals. I'm just wondering what is happening now and how things are looking.

Rentals suck!

We have blocked the Alabama/Auburn spring break week

blue chiffon

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2010
We are new condo owners that are going to rent. How

do we know the dates for Spring Break of most Southern Colleges? If you block those dates, do most of you also block those in Kentucky, Ohio etc. that are a little later in April. Thanks so much and can't wait til we move everything in next week. Will be needing lots of advice.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
OMG! One of the suspected groups of kids CALLED me. I happened to remember the name from the email. An 18-yo-sounding voice said, "I'd totally like to rent your house for the first week of March. Is it, like, rented? It looks awesome!" I said that it is unavailable then (internal voice saying "to you"), but I haven't updated the calendar recently (that's true).

If they really are college students, then the operative word is "awesome"...

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Rentals suck!

We have blocked the Alabama/Auburn spring break week

Depends on who you get in your rental. We focus on advertising for families, and they've been great guests so far. Our places are smaller one-story cottages (with no balconies so we don't get the beer and balcony crowd, just the sit-on-the-porch crowd), so they don't attract the partying crowd with 18 people - usually 3-6 people. And our community isn't in an area where there's a lot happening other than pool/porch/beach so people who want a lot of action right near by go elsewhere. Owners in the community keep an eye on what's happening and let each other know if there's something an owner needs to know, including if any renters are causing problems.

So, from my experience, renters rock and I'm glad to share our little piece of heaven with families. In fact, we have the dining room table in one cottage that I ate off of when I was little, and I like the idea that other people are enjoying family meals off that table, too, now. I don't worry about little nicks because I figure each has a little story to tell. And I probably couldn't tell one of the new little nicks from the old little nicks! We have a family with 4 boys who have rented from us over the years (including when there were just 2-3 boys) and I like the idea that those boys are having a good time running around and making memories with their parents and each other. I think families add good karma to a place.

(perhaps my day is coming when I eat those words, but so far it has been great)

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
So your bookings are down compared to last year or other years? Or do you mean owning a rental sucks in reference to spring break?

I meant that bookings are down compared to previous years.

It is also true that owning a rental in the past year or two is much more challenging when it comes to spring break. The college kids have moved west from PCB.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Since the inception of this thread, inquiries have increased dramatically and I have been booking. I think this will be a better than expected year.

As far as spring breakers, I've only received a few inquiries from the college crowd, but mainly families thus far.... as far as I can tell. I've been in the game 7 years now and I hope I can sniff out the trouble. I think it is really important to call people directly for those weeks and ask pointed questions like: how many adults and children, ages, # of cars,...things people will regularly tell you before you even ask. if they don't, they seem to get thrown off balance and you got trouble lurking.