• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
I'm trying to determine Florida/Walton fees for purchasing a car currently titled in another state. Walton Tax Collector's website states:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The estimated cost to register and title a vehicle for the first time is approximately $410.00, plus any sales tax due. The state of Florida imposes 6% sales tax on the full purchase price less trade-in. In addition, any applicable county surtax due is collected. All applications for title must be signed with the applicant's full name and notarized, if required. All transfers of ownership must be completed within 30 days of the sale date on the title. Failure to do so will result in a $20.00 penalty levied at the time of transfer. When application is made for a Florida Title Certificate, the title fee is $75.75 (or $85.75 for a vehicle with an out of state title).

Walton County Tax Collector

What is the $410 fee? Is it only collected on cars not previously or currently registered in Florida? Or not previously registered at all?

So, if I buy a car currently registered out of state, would my fees be $410 + 6% tax + title fee?

If the car is already registered in Florida, is it 6% sales tax plus title fee, without the $410?

I am confused (but car buying does this to me, anyway. I swear I'd rather have a root canal). We're paying cash and likely buying from an individual, not a dealer. Any info is appreciated.
[/FONT]

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The question is whether you yourself will already have an old valid Florida license plate you're planning on putting on the new-to-you vehicle.

If you already have a license plate for the car, it's about $100 to transfer it to the new vehicle and register it for the first year.

If you don't already have a plate, it's $300 for the first time license plate fee, plus the about $110 for the first year registration.

It's one of those times when the tax/fee structure is set up to hit new residents harder and then slightly subsidize people who have been here a while.

Last edited:

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Thanks, beachmouse. I wondered where the $410 came in. So basically, the out-of-state thing only amounts to and additional 10 bucks. Everything else is paid regardless of where the car is currently titled.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I'm trying to determine Florida/Walton fees for purchasing a car currently titled in another state. Walton Tax Collector's website states:

Walton County Tax Collector

What is the $410 fee? Is it only collected on cars not previously or currently registered in Florida? Or not previously registered at all?

So, if I buy a car currently registered out of state, would my fees be $410 + 6% tax + title fee?

If the car is already registered in Florida, is it 6% sales tax plus title fee, without the $410?

I am confused (but car buying does this to me, anyway. I swear I'd rather have a root canal). We're paying cash and likely buying from an individual, not a dealer. Any info is appreciated.
just call the tag office near your fla. residence during the week. They'll parse out all the fees/taxes for you, and you won't have to let it ruin your sunday. fees have doubled/tripled in the last few years.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
Definitelty call before you go but it cost me close to $1000 to register a 2007 Honda I bought out of NJ this last summer - that was taking the old tag off my other car. They charge sales tax on everything - I told them $650 was a transport fee to get the car here but didn't matter to them - charged me tax on that, too.

You have to take proof of insurance with you for them to do this - I know this the hard way - had to go back with paper in hand.

Good luck!