• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

btanner

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2006
Knoxville, Tn
I know, it's called June grass right. I get that, but last year we came down the last week in July, and it was terrible. Fishing in the surf was hopeless. I saw some reports of it lasting forever this past season, but when does it usually arrive? We are wanting to come in early June and I was really wanting to fish this year. Thanks.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Ask Jesus, he would be the only one who might know how Mother Nature works for sure. He can ask his dad too.

He has been posting on the oil spill threads, so you might catch him there...

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
My knowlege of the beach is based 50 years of visits to the area and not based on any scientific infomation whatsoever. I have observed the June grass showing up with summer(about June) and leaving when temps begin to cool (usually late Sept, early Oct). When the grass is thick, try fishing some of the dune lakes, catching a fishing boat into deeper water. I know several good fishing charters out of Grayton, lots in Destin.. the beach is beautiful and fabulous any time of the year..it's a matter of learing how to enjoy it and adapt to the seasonal changes and challenges. Enjoy and good luck fishing. If you have a good day maybe we can meet up for a fish fry.....

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
I've seen it arrive as early as mid-May or as late as July; last for 2-3 weeks or 3+ months; constantly thick or sporadically sparse. Ever changing environmental and atmospheric (and micro-atmospheric) conditions / variables make it fairly unpredictable.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I've seen it arrive as early as mid-May or as late as July; last for 2-3 weeks or 3+ months; constantly thick or sporadically sparse. Ever changing environmental and atmospheric (and micro-atmospheric) conditions / variables make it fairly unpredictable.

it doesn't happen in December...yet...

Auggie Gal

Beach Comber
Jun 20, 2008
Saint Augustine, FL
Honestly, having lived in the area 40-50 years ago, I never remember seeing or swimming in "June Grass". I do remember reading in more recent years about the proliferation of algae blooms due to run-off from area developements, especially golf courses, and the overuse of fertilizers. I just thought june grass was the algae bloom problem gone wild.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Honestly, having lived in the area 40-50 years ago, I never remember seeing or swimming in "June Grass". I do remember reading in more recent years about the proliferation of algae blooms due to run-off from area developements, especially golf courses, and the overuse of fertilizers. I just thought june grass was the algae bloom problem gone wild.

Thanks for posting your observations.

Honestly I don't remember much June Grass prior to Hurricane Opal in '95. I wondered if the hurricane changed the sandbar locations (or do I just have a bad memory)?

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
My family always went to Panhandle when I was growing up. We've been going since the 80's. Only remember alittle seaweed. Never noticed it until we took our bathing suits off. It's gotten so bad. Sorry. 30A offers the complete package, so you can enjoy the edge of the water and walk the beach plus the bike trail, the restaurants, the shopping, the events. The rip tides too. I don't remember any issues until recent years. If it has been caused by previous hurricanes, thank goodness your buildings, homes haven't been damaged. Ellen