• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I love to watch the hawks. This headline yesterday made me chuckle.

"A hawk got your dog"

'A hawk got your dog' | hawk, small, bug - Northwest Florida Daily News

Not that the story is funny. I feel bad for the little doggie, but "a hawk got your dog" ?? :lol:

Did you know that when a hawk is hunting, and they dive to attack their prey, they will place themselves between the sun and the victim, because animals will not look directly at the sun... they never see it coming. :creepy:

Goddessgal

Beach Lover
Mar 28, 2007
Florida!
OMG! I read the story - sort of unintentionally funny - "...drop the chihuahua!"

I didn't know that about their positioning themselves that way - very cool!

dmarie

Beach Lover
Aug 22, 2007
Eden
I saw the most unusual sight yesterday - a deer was swimming across Western Lake. It must have come from the west end of WaterColor and swam to the north shore. Very unusual!

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Saw a huge hawk behind the library today sitting on an orange traffic cone. Someone across the way said there are 3 that live around there. I might be birdwatching from the library backyard in the very near future. :cool:

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
I saw the most unusual sight yesterday - a deer was swimming across Western Lake. It must have come from the west end of WaterColor and swam to the north shore. Very unusual!

I've never had the pleasure. It must be delightful!
My late SO came home one day in the late 90's (from building a gulf front house at Inlet Beach) so excited because he'd seen 2 deer come bounding out of the dunes, race down to the beach, leap into the surf, and go for a swim! He'd never seen such a sight, despite a lifetime in Florida near the water.