• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alan Osborne

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2008
Sen Gaetz ? Sharpen a different axe! Florida needs the DCA and the FDEP.

State Sen. Don Gaetz has publicly stated he will head up legislation to shut down both the Florida Department of Community Affairs and the Florida Department of Environmental protection. He has labeled them as ?Destructive Government functions?, Really Sen. Gaetz? Let?s discuss the agencies and their growth management destructive functions to date from another perspective. Does anybody really know what these agencies do for us? Allow me to explain how they protect the common citizen.

The Florida DCA has been around since 1969 and is over such boards as the Florida Building Commission, Florida Communities Trust Governing Board, and the Commission for a Sustainable Florida. They manage the Florida Building Code, Post- Disaster Redevelopment planning, and areas of critical state concern.

These areas include City of Apalachicola, The city of Key West, the Florida Keys, Green Swamp and Big Cypress swamp. The DCA?s CDBG program has brought in more than 540 million in FEDERAL funds for neighborhood stabilization and during 2005 hurricane season obtained 82 million in federal funding for disaster relief.

In the last 5 years the CDBG program has created 3,500 permanent Florida jobs. The agency is the sole enforcement authority for over 1100 Development?s of Regional Impact (DRI?s). Such developments include, Airports, Attractions and facilities(Disney!), Hospitals, Industrial Facilities, Mining Operations, Petroleum Storage Facilities, Port Facilities, Hotel and Motel developments, Post- Secondary Schools, Residential and Multi-use developments. These developments are defined by Florida statute 380.06 as
??any development which, because of its character, magnitude, or location would have a substantial effect upon the health, safety, or welfare of citizens of more than one County.?

Since 1973 the agency has approved 1173 DRI?s throughout all Regions of Florida.
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection protects, conserves and manages Florida?s natural resources and enforces the State's environmental laws.

DEP oversees and manages Florida's award-winning state parks and trails system. Since 1990, through its innovative land acquisition programs - Preservation 2000 and Florida Forever programs, more than two million acres of valuable lands have been preserved, protecting habitat for 190 native and endangered animals and plants, while restoring ecosystems statewide throughout the state.

The Department's regulatory priorities include administering Florida?s air pollution control programs to best protect human health; protecting and restoring water quality; managing hazardous waste and cleanups; overseeing beach restorations; and reviewing applications for power plants, transmission lines and natural gas pipelines. In addition, DEPs six District Offices ensure statewide compliance with department rules.

Together with the South Florida Water Management District, DEP is implementing the 30-year, $10.9 billion Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan (CERP), which covers 16 counties over an 18,000 square mile area. FDEP has received funding commitments from the Federal government for 2.4 Billion for the acquiring of more than 229,000 acres in Florida
With all these facts, I ask the question?is this kind of government destructive? I say not! I also say that after approving over 1000 major developments, that affect more than one county, any type of major growth these agencies stopped was growth Florida doesn?t need or want.

Let?s think about this, can we be good students of history or are we doomed to repeat it. Before these agencies existed we had such things as ?Swampland developments in Florida? and the Big business of Sugar Cane, and agriculture was determined to ruin the image of Florida and the certain demise of the Florida Everglades.

These agencies are Non Partisan and should not be the target of any Party, Republican or Democrat. The agencies are the peace of mind that citizens, who borrow money, move to Florida and invest in the ?Florida Dream? need, deserve and pay taxes for. After County?s ?look the other way?, these are the only agencies who stand between a citizen and big development when they don?t do what they are supposed to.

Without these agencies profits may soar with no oversight in place for a short term, but it will backfire. Our future generations will bear the burden of our hasty decisions to remove enforcement, then put no checks and balances on infrastructure and the environment. It is always cheaper to do it right the first time than to come back and fix the mess from a knee jerk reaction, this decision will have long term effects.

I am a Federal Govt. worker who just had his pay frozen for two years by the Federal Administration. I consider myself a good American and have no problem taking a pay freeze, or cut for that matter, if it?s for the good of everybody I?ll tighten my belt. I am only disappointed this wasn?t implemented across the board and excluded Congress, Staffers and the usual suspects from the pay freeze. How is this leadership? Do as I say, not as I do! Something smells in DC and its politics.

I beg of you Sen. Gaetz, figure out what how much percentage it would take from every agency EQUALLY to cut the budget 3.6 billion and lead the charge to implement that across the board statewide. Don?t cut taxes, freeze the tax base and after the initial cuts, only grow state govt. at the rate the tax base can sustain as revenues increase. Match the Federal initiative and freeze all state workers and elected officials pay including staffers for two years while we ?CATCH UP?. Simply approach it from a business standpoint and leave politics out of the decision to balance the state budget.

If there were no cops, speeders would rule and crime would indeed pay. Eliminate these two agencies Sen. Gaetz and my children, grandchildren and the environment will pay for it. By the way if you?re interested, this is not a political statement or a bashing, just like the Senator I?m a republican too. I just have a very little different view; I say these public agencies are invaluable and important to all of us.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Alan, I am a Democrat, and I agree with every word you wrote. This is not a Republican or Democratic issue--it is a Florida issue.

To do what the Senator wants will set Florida back at least 30 years--combine this with what he wants to do with Education and what he will allow in off shore drilling, and we will never recover in my lifetime, or yours...our great, great grandchildren will be paying the price of partisan politics.

When did conservative morph into regressive?

When greed took over--and stewardship of the land became something one only reads about in John Muir's writings...or the Bible?

People need to pay attention--if we all don't speak up-- and with intelligence, dignity, civility and accurate information, one day we will look around and not recognize what our state has become--and the politicians, developers and others who benefit from the short term "budget fix" will have moved on...to another place to repeat the performance.

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
You have a Governor who want to make things smaller and less cumbersome for business, er the people and get rid of the money grubbing, lazy government worker:sarc:, so really what way do you really think this is going to play out. The leadership in the legislative side will tell the rank and file how they will vote, so they can keep there seat at the table.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
You have a Governor who want to make things smaller and less cumbersome for business, er the people and get rid of the money grubbing, lazy government worker:sarc:, so really what way do you really think this is going to play out. The leadership in the legislative side will tell the rank and file how they will vote, so they can keep there seat at the table.

yes, and it makes one wonder: what is it that is so important to them that they want to keep their seat?

Salary is not that great; benefits are good and right now at no cost to the Member; but still most could afford to buy their insurance--and probably most had jobs that paid more--most do not seem to be committed public servants...so, what does that leave as a reason for following the leadership so they can "keep their seat at the table?"

It's a question I wish every Floridian would ask themselves.

Last edited:

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I'll trade him - they can seawall the entire beach, if we eliminate Citizen's public-subsidized insurance for oceanfront properties, or anything within 1/2 mile of the CCL.

You build it, you get insurance for it in the free market, instead of asking the rest of us to pay a "fee" on our insurance to help you out.

Show them pictures of Galveston, and ask how they will like jumping off their seawall into the Gulf instead of onto a beach.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Alan, I am a Democrat, and I agree with every word you wrote. This is not a Republican or Democratic issue--it is a Florida issue.

To do what the Senator wants will set Florida back at least 30 years--combine this with what he wants to do with Education and what he will allow in off shore drilling, and we will never recover in my lifetime, or yours...our great, great grandchildren will be paying the price of partisan politics.

When did conservative morph into regressive?

When greed took over--and stewardship of the land became something one only reads about in John Muir's writings...or the Bible?

People need to pay attention--if we all don't speak up-- and with intelligence, dignity, civility and accurate information, one day we will look around and not recognize what our state has become--and the politicians, developers and others who benefit from the short term "budget fix" will have moved on...to another place to repeat the performance.

Yes and yes.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
Really all the senator is trying to say is "it's a matter of simple justice" How dare a lesser taxing authority try to out tax his taxing authority!

Investigator

Beach Comber
Feb 4, 2010
Sen Gaetz "Right On"

Many so-called South Walton Republican refuse to understand the voters sentiment this past November. "We" don't want federal, state, and local government running roughshod over private property rights'.
DCA, DEA, EPA are job-killing, tree and turtle huggers destroying America's sense of ingenuity and our private rights'.
I understand Sen. Gaetz is support of a bill which will "kill" the five-year drop program in Florida. Amen. Each year, us taxpayers pay billions to retired state employees who decide to hang in there for 1-to-5 additional years. It's a big payday. Many will wind-up with several hundred thousand additional dollars when their drop comes to an end.
We understand Sheriff Adkinson is working with lobbyists to maintain and strengthen "Drop". Once again the "ultimate" Big Boy himself proves he's not of the Republican philosophy and uses his (R) only on the ballot box. Say no to "Drop" and cronyism, which is costing us "billions"...

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

Touche' Nice historical shot at Marti Coley, not saying I disagree with it though. She certainly votes to insure she gets a chair.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I'll trade him - they can seawall the entire beach, if we eliminate Citizen's public-subsidized insurance for oceanfront properties, or anything within 1/2 mile of the CCL.

You build it, you get insurance for it in the free market, instead of asking the rest of us to pay a "fee" on our insurance to help you out.

Show them pictures of Galveston, and ask how they will like jumping off their seawall into the Gulf instead of onto a beach.

Did you see the new wind model? Finally something that makes sense. Now if only the group that has to accept it will do so and they will implement it. Market rates will truly control growth and building in high risk areas for a change. But it took promoting Atwater up and out for this thing to get a toehold in the system. The next thing is to get rid of this crazy sinkhole coverage scam that is going on in Central Florida.