• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
Exactly. I'm sure that Wal-Mart's landscaping is coming, but the site is just a mud pit right now. Putting up trees before all the heavy equipment leaves does not make much sense to me. I for one am surprised at how small the overall development footprint is.

Hope it's not a bunch of non-indigenous, lame @ss palm trees...

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Exactly. I'm sure that Wal-Mart's landscaping is coming, but the site is just a mud pit right now. Putting up trees before all the heavy equipment leaves does not make much sense to me. I for one am surprised at how small the overall development footprint is.

There would have been NO need for landscaping if they had left some of the pine trees at the front of the site.

9t

Beach Lover
Dec 7, 2009
How small will the new Walmart be/feel?

So the WMT being built on Hwy 98 is going to be about 78,000 sq ft (I guess.) I recently stopped at the newly opened (01/26/2011) WMT in Niceville (which is about 153,000 sq ft). The Niceville Discount store seemed 'small' compared to the Supercenter in Destin (size?)

I am just wondering how small the SRB Discount store will feel given that it will be half the size of the one in Niceville?

FYI, Walmart's info about types of stores:
Walmartstores.com: Walmart

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It is small compared to a super. I guess it depends on the layout and how much stuff is crammed in. Most Publixes are around 40-50,000 sf I think.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
The Niceville store seems not as deep as the Crestview store but much wider. I figured it had something to do with the lot layout.

I was told by a CSM at the Destin store that the SRB location will be mostly store with some GM stuff too. Who knows until they open the door?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Help me with this statement please.
In Edmond, OK WalMart wanted to build a store very badly in North Edmond. The city council said it could not be their usual cinderblock box and told them to design one that was architectually pleasing and well lanscaped. And now, North Edmond has one of the best looking WalMarts in the country. If you want a certain type and well planned community it takes some work on everyone's part, not just the county commissioners.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The Niceville store seems not as deep as the Crestview store but much wider. I figured it had something to do with the lot layout.

They had some real site issues that dictated building shape- residential areas to the rear and some wetlands/Swift Creek limitations throughout the property. IIRC, it actually took them a couple of tries to get a site plan for the whole complex that would work around the wetlands.