• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
From TDC:

The Walton County Sheriff's Office is reopening the beaches today, Sunday, June 26, 2005, following yesterday's fatal shark attack. It has been determined that the tragic accident was an isolated incident.

Officials are urging swimmers to exercise caution and to stay near the
shore since sharks tend to be in deeper, warmer waters. Attacks are
more likely to occur between sandbars where sharks feed and can become
trapped at low tide. Swimmers should also avoid swimming near schools
of baitfish, which may attract sharks.

A shark attack is a potential danger that must be acknowledged by anyone
that enters the gulf, but it should be kept in perspective. Bees, wasps
and snakes are responsible for far more fatalities each year. In the
United States the annual risk of death from lightning is 30 times
greater than that from shark attack.

Reducing the Risk of a Shark Encounter:
Advice to Aquatic Recreationists

The relative risk of a shark attack is very small but, risks should always be minimized whenever possible in any activity. The chances of having an interaction with a shark can be reduced if one heeds the following advice:
  • Always stay in groups since sharks are more likely to attack a solitary individual.
  • Do not wander too far from shore --- this isolates an individual and additionally places one far away from assistance.
  • Avoid being in the water during darkness or twilight hours when sharks are most active and have a competitive sensory advantage.
  • Do not enter the water if bleeding from an open wound or if menstruating --- a shark's olfactory ability is acute.
  • Wearing shiny jewelry is discouraged because the reflected light resembles the sheen of fish scales.
  • Avoid waters with known effluents or sewage and those being used by sport or commercial fisherman, especially if there are signs of bait fishes or feeding activity. Diving seabirds are good indicators of such action.
  • Sightings of porpoises do not indicate the absence of sharks --- both often eat the same food items.
  • Use extra caution when waters are murky and avoid uneven tanning and bright colored clothing --- sharks see contrast particularly well.
  • Refrain from excess splashing and do not allow pets in the water because of their erratic movements.
  • Exercise caution when occupying the area between sandbars or near steep dropoffs --- these are favorite hangouts for sharks.
  • Do not enter the water if sharks are known to be present and evacuate the water if sharks are seen while there. And, of course, do not harass a shark if you see one.
*Source: International Shark Attack File, Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
I remember reading that some 10 to 15 years ago the territorial limits within which sharks could be hunted were changed (hunting sharks had to be much further from shore) and that since that time there had been a huge increase in the amount of shark attacks around Florida. Has anyone else read this?

JustBeachy

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2005
Blue Mtn. Beach
How sad for the little girl and her family.

We often see Bull Sharks off the water in Blue Mountain Beach..they seem to be attracted by schools of fish that seem to be attracted to whatever attracts them..food chain indeed.

Makes me leery of letting my kids suf this summer..well to be honest I am never thrilled when they surf, even as I did it as a kid, in the Pacific.

Different perspective as a Mom, I suppose.

STL Don, I remember reading something similar to that, about 5 years ago, when there were all those shark sitings/attacks. JB, any input, being you are our resident marine biologist?

iqueequeg

Beach Lover
Feb 2, 2005
Snowy Boston
I would be curious, during this busy summer week, if there were any highway fatalities in Destin. The press loves to cover these dramatic events, but I would guess that statistically, you're safer in the water than in a car on 98 in Destin.

Buckhead Rick

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Over the weekend there was a news article about enviormentalists getting Hong Kong Disney to stop serving shark fin soup because it was causing the extensive killing of sharks. Not to sound uninformed, but do sharks do any good, will the Ozone open if all sharks are caught and given to our far east friends to eat?

Wu

Beach Comber
Mar 2, 2005
Buckhead Rick said:
Over the weekend there was a news article about enviormentalists getting Hong Kong Disney to stop serving shark fin soup because it was causing the extensive killing of sharks. Not to sound uninformed, but do sharks do any good, will the Ozone open if all sharks are caught and given to our far east friends to eat?

He who disregards life of any kind, disregards his own soul. :D

JustBeachy

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2005
Blue Mtn. Beach
iqueequeg said:
I would be curious, during this busy summer week, if there were any highway fatalities in Destin. The press loves to cover these dramatic events, but I would guess that statistically, you're safer in the water than in a car on 98 in Destin.

That's a fact!!!

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
JB said:
Sympathy for the shark? You are sick.
No, I am a marine biologist. The shark has a definate place in the ecosystem. Sharks and other fish can't digest big bones. Pelicans die by the hundreds every year because people give them scraps of their deep-water catches. The bones lodge in their intestines and they die a horrible death. :sosad: People should have more kinowledge of and respect for nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.