• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wu

Beach Comber
Mar 2, 2005
alic65 said:
because Wu, just like our area, tourists coming in spending money at the lakes and rivers in our community, help make many people a nice living :bang:

He who have mini storage, have many problems. :D

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
You fellas be nice. Of course tourist money is good for the area. What is your property worth now compared to when you bought it?

I tire of hearing about "the good old days" down here.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
There's more to life than property values. (and high values aren't good once you get to a situation where employees have extensive/long commutes to get to their jobs every day)

Overall, I see tourism as a very good thing for the area, but I do have my share of prickly and conflicting feelings of what our guests bring to and take from the area. Kind of more of a spectrum of feelings than a yes/no sort of deal.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
sunshine said:
You fellas be nice. Of course tourist money is good for the area. What is your property worth now compared to when you bought it?

What exactly do you have now that is better than "the good old days"? Property values and Publix aside??

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
Sounds like a great trip, Alic65!! We also live in (or, outside of) a tiny town of around 300. We love having our privacy, being close to nature, living a calm and peaceful life, giving our kids the freedom to explore in the woods and create the dreams and adventures that every kid should experience at least on some level. I couldn't handle city life either. Nice to visit, though!

We just had house guests (they left yesterday) that are from Southern Missouri. I think they were ready to be back in cooler weather! We LOVE canoeing on the Buffalo River, and we hope to get to Bull Shoals again very soon. Gorgeous place! Every bit as charming, in it's own right, as SoWal.

Our girls are 6yrs and 8yrs, and we are having so much fun vacationing with them at these ages. (Or, as we call it, exploring.) Just the perfect ages for them to really see the wonder and magnificance of experiencing new places and seeing new things they've never imagined. It delights us so much to see them so delighted, if you know what I mean! Last year we took them to Washington D.C. and there is something humbling and emotional in watching your kids stand on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and stare with amazement and wonder at the sun rising over the Washington Monument, or watching in silent awe at the changing of the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldiers. Anyway, that is off-topic! But if you haven't done it, D.C. is a MUST SEE.

Oldtimer

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Mississippi Bound
sunshine said:

A later post asked "What do we have now that's better than 'the good old days'?" And for those tired of hearing about he GODays, take it from one who literally grew up on beach at Grayton, those days were the best! We had things that money couldn't buy and now it seems you have to have lots of money just to maintain status quo at Grayton.

As for increase in property values....that's only good if you are selling. For the few of us that hope to NEVER sell, it only means higher and higher taxes. Our beach house could not be replaced even if we made millions. The money didn't matter in the GODays and that was a good thing.

Just hanging out at "the store" was plenty; walking the beach; exploring the dunes (before they were restricted); swimming the entire Western Lake; crabbing off the dock with a string and a net; listening to the frogs and crickets because all the windows were always open to catch the lake and gulf breezes; no traffic; no rules about dogs or trucks; no garbage pick-up; no TV; no locked doors; just freedom to be and let be. Grayton was undiscovered and it was perfect then.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Grayton more than I can express, but some of the modern conveniences have just about destroyed what made Grayton special. It was a place for the common folks; nobody had a decorator "do" their house. In fact, we were lucky if two items matched in the entire house, but everthing was comfortable. It was a "beach" house! The only rentals that I'm aware of were the Butler cottages (and that is a stretch to call them "cottages"). We rented them before we built our house in 1956 for about $200/week. NO amenities!!! I know, too, because I cleaned them along with Gretchen Butler on Saturday mornings between tenants.

Guess you've figured that I could go on and on, but I'll stop for now. Anyone with questions, can send me a private mail.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun-filled 4th of July weekend and week.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Oldtimer said it best in reference to property values...and I too can remember most of those things.

But, back to the original point - I have a pre-teen son and the orginator of this thread has my sympathies. What we as adults want on vacation and what kids want are two entirely different things. Kids do not go on vacation to relax. I live here and find myself in Destin frequently!

alic65

Beach Lover
May 3, 2005
Southern Missouri
Yes, Beachdreamer, I totally agree with you....on all topics. I HAVE been to Washington D.C., once (many moons ago, my senior trip) I LOVED it. I agree that it is a very humbling experience and even as an 18 year old, I found it very powerful. I love going on vacation, no matter where it is, just to see new and different things and to give my children that experience as well. Living in such a rural area, they aren't exposed to much and it is a wonderful opportunity to travel each year. We save all year for our trip to Florida, whether it be Destin, or Blue Mountain Beach. But I think we'll always go to Florida, I have never seen such gorgeous blue/green water and white sand! I used to live in Palm Desert California and we would travel to the beaches often ( no comparison to Florida). :roll: As a child My family traveled to Northern California from Missouri every year (talk about a long drive, especially when you have a big brother breathing his stinky breath on you or licking you on the cheek, quite annoying). But I look back now and my brother and sister and I laugh and remember the good and the bad times on those trips. Like my dad wanting to stop at every tourist area to see something like "the world's biggest ball of string" . it was a good time. I want my children to do the same one day! :D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Oldtimer said:
"What do we have now that's better than 'the good old days'?" And for those tired of hearing about he GODays, take it from one who literally grew up on beach at Grayton, those days were the best! We had things that money couldn't buy ...
Here is a photo taken today that reminds me of what Grayton Beach rush hour probably looked liked when OldTimer was growing up around here.
P6270014.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.