• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

benhirsch

Beach Crab
Mar 1, 2011
I am from georgia and will be visiting Seagrove Beach in early April. I was wondering what all I would need to fish off the shore and what would work the best?

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
I am from georgia and will be visiting Seagrove Beach in early April. I was wondering what all I would need to fish off the shore and what would work the best?

Normally the Pompano are coming close to shore in April and the best bait are sandfleas. You can find them at the waters edge using a sandflea rake or purchase them frozen. Good luck.

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
If beach fishing doens't work due to seaweed or rough currents Kings & Spanish Mackeral can be caught mid April from the very end of the Pier (Pier Park). I recommend titanium leaders as they chomp through many steel. Last year you could catch one every third cast on a basic spoon.

Another affordable option, Capt Steve Lathi of Affordable Fishing Adventures 850 240-4664 or email seaprize@cox.net

CampCreekLou

Beach Lover
Feb 25, 2005

Make sure you stop in at Yellowfin Ocean Sports for the local read and supplies.......

polo

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
Agree with the above. I've caught pompano, redfish, ladyfish, and one small black-tip shark fishing in the surf with sand fleas. I prefer to catch my own sand fleas as I've never had very good luck with frozen ones because I found them brittle so they didn't seem to say on the hook very well. There is plenty of good info on the web about how to catch sand fleas and how to catch pompano (one of the best tasting fish around).

You can also use shrimp or squid when fishing from the beach. These baits will be attractive to more types of fish than sand fleas. That said, you will lose shrimp far more frequently than sand fleas or squid.

I found a little paperback book called "Fishing the Local Waters" by Jim Hoskins and Chris Phillips very useful when I first moved to this area. It talks about where to fish, what types of fish you can catch in the Gulf and in the bays, and how to catch them (rigs, baits, techniques, etc).

Regarding seaweed, I've not experienced this phenomenon called "June Bloom" as early as April so that shouldn't be an issue during your visit.

Lastly, keep in mind that if you fish from the shore, a bridge, or a private boat/dock you will need a fishing license (obtainable at Wal Mart and bait/tackle stores). Piers and charter boats that charge a fee for fishing have a license that covers the pier/boat.

Hope this helps and good luck.

deasnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 21, 2010
Shore Fishing

I thought I read shore fishing required a license but it was no charge. Or could it be only for residents

croixbum

Banned
Jun 15, 2009
West Point, MS
Best thing to do is check with John at Yellowfin, has been very helpful over the years. All of the previous posts are helpful, I would add cigar minnows or finger mullett to the baits, can catch redfish etc, also gotchas are good for the lady fish, wouldnt eat them but fun to catch.