• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

polo

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
If beach fishing doesn't work...

You might want to consider a day on the Sweet Jody out of Destin. Great rates and guaranteed fish.... includes tackle, bait, and fish cleaning. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but it's a great bargain for off-shore fishing.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Make certain to check. I don't believe an out of state visitor can fish the surf without a license. It may be a 3 day or whole year, but I believe you still need a license.

I don't need a surf license because I have an actual saltwater license that covers me fishing the surf.
Those residents who only fish the surf are the ones who can get a no cost license, but they still need one.

croixbum

Banned
Jun 15, 2009
West Point, MS
Make certain to check. I don't believe an out of state visitor can fish the surf without a license. It may be a 3 day or whole year, but I believe you still need a license.

I don't need a surf license because I have an actual saltwater license that covers me fishing the surf.
Those residents who only fish the surf are the ones who can get a no cost license, but they still need one.

Out of state definitely has to have a license, 3 day, 7 day or year, year is less than 50 bucks

benhirsch

Beach Crab
Mar 1, 2011
Thanks for all the advice. So my best bet is and flies, squid or shrimp? and I need to stop by the yellowfin fishing store. Also where is the pier?

easton714

Beach Comber
Apr 12, 2011
My three year old loves fishing and we were in Seagrove last week. We were near Eastern Lake and errantly thought we would be able to find access to fish there. So when he asked one morning if we could go fishing, I took him to buy some shrimps and rigged up both my simple spin reel and his little Transformers pole and we headed to the beach.

I've never had luck anywhere beach fishing so I tried to find an area with submerged rocks reachable from the beach with even the little two foot transformers pole. I rigged my son's first, cast it out above the submerged rocks with a little float bobber so he had something to watch, and I turned around to rig mine.

In maybe twenty seconds he told me he had something. I didn't believe him (he likes to reel in every ten seconds and often acts like he has something). So I turn around and I can see that his little pole clearly has something. No way, I thought.

So I help him...definitely something there...and out comes a decent-sized crab (no idea what kind...it was sand colored and maybe eight to ten inches wide. It had taken the shrimp and hooked itself.

My son was ecstatic. I released the crab, rebaited his hook and tossed out to the same place. Soon after I got mine in too. All in all, in about fifteen minutes we had caught and landed six crabs (four on the little Transformers pole) with shrimp on a hook. It was a good time for us boys that morning.

First thing my son said to my father in law (his usual fishing buddy) when we got back to Indiana several days later?

"Papa, I caught crabs in Florida!"

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Did it have one or two large claws? Sound like you might have caught a stone claw crab. While the body doesn't have much value the claws are delicious and sell at a premium. Also curious how you found rocks off of beach.

easton714

Beach Comber
Apr 12, 2011
The claws were not large. They were long and narrow, actually, and it didn't look like any stone crab claws I've ever seen before. But I really have no idea.

And I suppose it might not have been rocks. Maybe it was grass. We walked East from the West side of Eastern Lake (wow, that was a mouthful) for several hundred yards until a saw a large dark patch in the water maybe 30-40 feet off the beach. The patch was maybe 10-by-30 and ran parallel to the beach. It was in front of a condo complex but the beach was nearly empty - on account of the endless highway of heavy construction equipment.

I cast off ahead off the dark patch and let it float with the current over the patch.