• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Is there a controlled burns going on near Bay Dr? the smoke smell is starting to get very uncomfortable on my street, I was outside and had to come in because I was getting a sore throat and headache from the smoke smells. theres even some flakes drifting around...makes me NERVOUS!

Last edited:

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
Prescribed Burn in South Walton ? Tuesday, March 8, 2011
(Santa Rosa Beach) ?The Florida Parks Service at Deer Lake State Park will be conducting a 174 acre prescribed burn today, March 8, 2011, in an area located 1 mile south of Highway 98, 2 miles north of 30-A, east of power lines and 1 mile to the west of the Camp Creek Golf Course. The burn will take place today between 8:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.

Due to the prevailing wind direction out of the north, smoke will be visible in areas of South Walton and will drift to the south. As always, the South Walton Fire District is monitoring the conditions. If you encounter smoke on any roads, you are encouraged to please slow down and use caution.

It is anticipated that the smoke will dissipate once the burns have been completed

Please contact the Florida Parks Service at 850-267-8300.

Pretty windy today.
seems too windy to burn, 15 mph winds gusting to 24.
I didnt know there was a controlled burn when I first smelled the smoke and saw the flakes drifting in my back yard so I thought some stupid yahoo was burning brush or something and I was about to start looking for this stupid yahoo to tell em what I thought of it!!

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
There is no visibility NE across the bay as you go over the 331 bridge.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
About 2 hours ago there was pretty thick smoke moving across 98 at the new middle school from the burn.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
I could see smoke in Old Pt Washington yesterday about 3:30. I called SWFD 267-1298 to see if there was residual smoke from the W. Pt Washington fire or prescribed burn. SWFD offered to check out the neighborhood just to be safe. If you are not sure, please call SWFD, they care about our safety and welfare.