• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Diamond Dave

Banned
Mar 6, 2011
Seagrove
Spent some time at the beach today (Ed Waline area). Sad to report seeing the following, resulting in the potential loss of revenue.

1) Dogs on Beach (two), no permit, prior to the allotted time. $$$
2) Glass Bottles on Beach (multiple). $$$
3) College crowd passing a joint. ???:eek:

All of the above should be addressed and tickets or arrests made. This is a great way to generate revenue $$$ as most of the tourists will just pay the fines (hopefully). I did take the time to speak to these tourists and educate them as to our laws and ordinances. I did not approach the pot smokers, that is for law enforcement.

It was somewhat concerning that even though there was a shooting not more then one half mile from this area, I saw not one Beach Patrol Unit on the beach (9am to 3:30pm), left at that point. I bet they were all over near Sandestin / Hilton area. Do they pay an impact fee or anything?

Anyone have any stats on the # of fines issues for bottles, etc? Might be something to look at instead of making a big deal about how many permits are issued for driving on Grayton...

Diamond Dave

Banned
Mar 6, 2011
Seagrove
Agree

I agree. I think I am going to call the Sheriff's Department and speak to someone about it. The more that call, the better a chance someone will listen.

I don't want to see "selective" enforcement. If my friend can be stopped for his golf cart on the bike path, so can the tourists. I understand the tourists are the economic support, but after given a warning (which would mean someone needs to be out looking for this activity) a fine is more than appropriate.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Actually, ALL of those things are for law enforcement to handle if they are violations of the law.

deasnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 21, 2010
Beach Permits

Being a previous owner in the county, I had the right to get a pet permit. The process is easy and I believe its a good idea generally. However, as a tourist (sold my property and rent) I do not understand why I cannot get a permit. Even for more dollars. Additionally, I think owners that do not clean up after their pets would be a great fee opportunity. Maybe 200 dollars. Also, keeping bags available would increase clean up. Going the beach with my dogs is something I believe should be made available to citizens and visitors alike.

I am willing to abide by the clean up. I am also an advocate for proper enforcement.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm pretty sure they changed the ordinance so that tourists could get a temporary dog beach permit.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
I'm pretty sure they changed the ordinance so that tourists could get a temporary dog beach permit.

They commissioners talked about a temporary dog permit for tourists back in fall 2009 when they were making changes to clarify eligibility for the permits, but they did not follow through with it. There was a lot of opposition. As of now, only Walton County property owners and full-time residents can apply for "dog on the beach" permits.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Does anyone know why there is no enforcement for basic ordinances like glass on the beach? Is the SO afraid of offending tourists, or do they not have the man power, or is it because offenders don't typically bring their IDs to the beach, or something else?

I would bet if you looked up citations for glass on the beach you'd find zero tickets.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Took a beach walk the other day from Mistral Condo. to Rosemary Beach in Seacrest. Saw SIX unleashed dogs and many doggie loads on the beach. I think I posted this on another thread on this site but this happens every year and it's nothing new. And what I observed is that the MAJORITY of people DO NOT clean up and this is a health hazard for people on the beach in bare feet. I would much rather step on a tar ball than a doggie poop! A few years ago they really did enforce the dog ordinance (I actually saw them turn people away with dogs) but since then the dogs have taken over!!! I have a dog myself and personally I don't think they need to be on the beach but that is just my opinion because folks abuse that right.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
I too am an advocate of enforcement. In my humble opinion I believe this is a shared responsibility between "locals" and "tourist", with locals setting an example. Some have observed that it is tourist letting their dogs poop on the beach. Unfortunately when I approached two seperate visitors last summer to educate them I was told that the local rental companies had told them the "dog permit" was for anyone staying in the house...

Maybe we need less opinion on these matters and more action. It might be helpful if each one of us on this thread reported the response they receive from code enforcement, WCSO or other agency to include a name and contact number when bringing these matters to light.

Making more ordinances will not correct these issues. Education, example (...starting with our own direct involvement) and enforcement will.