• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Brianne

Beach Comber
Jul 17, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Is there a lawyer or a state official out there anywhere who can provide a simple, clear-cut legal ruling on which part of the glorious beaches of South Walton belong to gulf front owners so that the rest of us know where we can sit, play and enjoy this gift of nature that was everyone's to enjoy?

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
I hope you didn't have a confrontation. My dh and I were at BMB one day and this couple came and sat AT WATER'S EDGE - water seriously lapping at their feet and they were just relaxing and enjoying a day. When down rushed this "mad" woman screaming they they were on "her private beach". Then her husband came down and they were nuts - screaming and carrying on. So the couple moved over like 1 foot to the east and then the house owners were satisfied. BUT they put up a chair to mark the line that couldn't be crossed.

It really bothered me to see such a production over people just sitting on the beach enjoying a beautiful day.

I'll be curious to hear more about what happened with you.

Gidget

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Please know that if you get a simple, clear cut answer to your question, it is likely incomplete as there is no simple, clear cut answer to this question. If you want to see how this questions has been hashed out on Sowal over the years, I would recommend searching the old threads. Those of us who "discussed" this issue back then are likely not interested in doing it again. Here is the Sowal link to public beach accesses.

SoWal Beach & Bay Accesses | SoWal.com - Guide For The Beaches Of South Walton & Scenic 30A

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Please know that if you get a simple, clear cut answer to your question, it is likely incomplete as there is no simple, clear cut answer to this question. If you want to see how this questions has been hashed out on Sowal over the years, I would recommend searching the old threads. Those of us who "discussed" this issue back then are likely not interested in doing it again. Here is the Sowal link to public beach accesses.

SoWal Beach & Bay Accesses | SoWal.com - Guide For The Beaches Of South Walton & Scenic 30A

I appreciate your comment but this is an ongoing issue and a concern for many and will continue to be debated. Maybe it would help if we put together some concise statements and basic facts we can refer to for people who are new to the issue, then go from there. I would be happy to make a sticky and add a page to the site - maybe a "faq" format would be best.

And/or we can add to the existing faq:
Beaches Of South Walton Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | SoWal.com - Guide For The Beaches Of South Walton & Scenic 30A

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I appreciate your comment but this is an ongoing issue and a concern for many and will continue to be debated. Maybe it would help if we put together some concise statements and basic facts we can refer to for people who are new to the issue, then go from there. I would be happy to make a sticky and add a page to the site - maybe a "faq" format would be best.

And/or we can add to the existing faq:
Beaches Of South Walton Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | SoWal.com - Guide For The Beaches Of South Walton & Scenic 30A

I agree it is an ongoing issue and very important. Maybe you should start the basic fact sheet and see how far we can get. This may even get BMBV back out as I haven't seen a post in a while and we had a lively thread back in 2008.

http://www.sowal.com/bb/local-government/20589-public-vs-private-beach.html

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
hmmm? facts??? that's a good one! The fact is, it depends on who you talk to as to what they think your, or their own, rights are.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
hmmm? facts??? that's a good one! The fact is, it depends on who you talk to as to what they think your, or their own, rights are.

Well then SJ - maybe we should start by stating their is confusion and dissension, and downright outrage on the part of many.

1. There are different points of view on the matter so we'll attempt to clear up some confusion by stating what we know and what we don't know.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama

Imagine someone telling Burger King Woman to move her chair off their private beach. :shock:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Well then SJ - maybe we should start by stating their is confusion and dissension, and downright outrage on the part of many.

1. There are different points of view on the matter so we'll attempt to clear up some confusion by stating what we know and what we don't know.

I think that would be wonderful because I have read a lot of different "facts" and it is most confusing - for the person enjoying the beach and the home owner. In the particular incident I witnessed it was the outrage that got to me more than the 'request' to move to a different spot. The people enjoying the beach were totally unaware.

Thanks for the current FAQ list btw, it is such a terrific resource for visitors and for locals!! :clap:

Gidget