• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ProHealth SRB

Beach Lover
Jun 3, 2009
Hello SoWal,

Have you or someone you know ever had pneumonia? If you have, you know how debilitating it can be. Some folks can have pneumonia and not even know it. They call that ?Walking Pneumonia?. Pneumonia is an infection of one or both lungs which is usually caused by a bacterial infection, a virus, or fungi.
Basically, your lungs can fill with fluid and make it painful and difficult to breath. Most people who develop Pneumonia initially have symptoms of a cold or upper respiratory infection, which is then followed by a high fever, shaking, chills, and a cough with sputum production. I?ve also heard that people have experienced pain in their chest when trying to lay flat and have to prop themselves up on several pillows to find comfort. Over 3 million people develop Pneumonia every year in the USA and over half a million are admitted to the hospital for treatment.
The good news is that there is a vaccine that can provide protection from 23 of the bacteria that cause the majority of Pneumonia infections. If you are 65 or older you should definitely give this vaccine some serious thought. Also, if you have chronic heart or lung disorders such as Congestive Heart Failure, Chronic Bronchitis, or Emphysema, or if you have Diabetes, liver disease, alcoholism, an HIV infection, or if you?re just prone to upper respiratory infections, you are a good candidate for the pneumonia vaccine. Always check with your physician to make certain that it?s OK for you to receive the Pneumonia vaccine and then come by the ProHealth office at 1131 Mack Bayou Rd. to receive this quick and easy protection.
Want more good news? For the month of April, ProHealth will be running a special on Pneumonia vaccines. Regularly $50, now only $40. There is no appointment necessary. We?re open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8am to noon.
Be safe and take care!

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I have been fighting pneumonia since the beginning of the month and spent 3 days in the hospital. I have dropped almost 15 pounds and still huff and puff trying to get up the stairs to the bedroom or office. The cough is still there but the chest pain is slowly subsiding. They gave me the vaccination when I was in the hospital. This has not been a good month. The inactivity has been the worst since I have not been able to do any projects or work out. I will now have to go on a rebuilding regimine and redevelope the muscle that was lost. Just can't wait to start something again.

ProHealth SRB

Beach Lover
Jun 3, 2009
It's unfortunate that you have been having such a bad month. If you were in decent shape before you became ill, you should be able to regain your former health faster and start doing the activities you miss. Have patience with yourself and focus on your complete and speedy recovery. It's better to look forward than to look back.
My thoughts are with you.

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
It's unfortunate that you have been having such a bad month. If you were in decent shape before you became ill, you should be able to regain your former health faster and start doing the activities you miss. Have patience with yourself and focus on your complete and speedy recovery. It's better to look forward than to look back.
My thoughts are with you.
Thanks, I am considering starting up with light workouts this week. The one thing that still bothers me the most is being out in cold weather. It has been hard to breathe and hurts after a couple of minutes.

ProHealth SRB

Beach Lover
Jun 3, 2009
Hi Kish7374,

Luckily, I think we're done with the cold weather for the season. Your lungs are still healing and a bit sensitive. Give yourself time. If you pay attention, your body will let you know what it's capable of doing. It will also let you know when what you've done is too much, but you never know until you try. We're a resilient species. Be patient, you'll be back to normal soon. I'll keep a good thought out there for you.