• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Haven't heard/read much about this one recently. Is there still a plan/schedule for the Publix to come to Freeport? I thought it was to open later this year, but has the economy caused that to cool?

9t

Beach Lover
Dec 7, 2009
Haven't heard/read much about this one recently. Is there still a plan/schedule for the Publix to come to Freeport? I thought it was to open later this year, but has the economy caused that to cool?

I drove by the area on 331 recently and noticed the Publix sign is gone? Any word?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Per someone who was semi-management at the Destin store, it's on hold indefinitely until population growth in Freeport really starts to happen again. I think the original plan there assumed more growth than what has happened in the past few years.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Per someone who was semi-management at the Destin store, it's on hold indefinitely until population growth in Freeport really starts to happen again. I think the original plan there assumed more growth than what has happened in the past few years.

I think that is a mistake. More people would move there if they had a decent grocery store. Sad. Let's put 3 on top of each other in Sowal. :bang:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I think that is a mistake. More people would move there if they had a decent grocery store. Sad. Let's put 3 on top of each other in Sowal. :bang:

Although my wife loves Publix, I on the other had appreciate the Food Depot for their price and meats. I wish it was a bigger and a newer store but I enjoy shopping there and I don't spend near the money.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
sucker! The Food Depot advertises one price on the store shelves and products, but they up-charge 10% on all purchases calling it a club fee. However, nowhere do they tell you that there is an up-charge, except for the little line item on your receipt with the 10% next to it. It makes the price as much or more than Publix.

Sarah Moss

Beach Lover
Apr 5, 2006
Black Creek
Although my wife loves Publix, I on the other had appreciate the Food Depot for their price and meats. I wish it was a bigger and a newer store but I enjoy shopping there and I don't spend near the money.

We like Food Depot. The Freeport store has never been much of anything, but the Niceville one is worth the trip. They have a HUGE meat department, fresh sausages, seafood department, and much better prices than Publix. Last time we went we went crazy in the meat department; it blows the other stores away (and that's after shopping at Publix and Winn Dixie for a while). I noticed the other day I had some sugar snap peas I paid $2.89/ lb for at Food Depot, following week I paid $4.99/ lb at Publix. I hope I didn't change anyone's mind on the Food Depot, because it's probably better a secret. :roll: