• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
For Immediate Release:
April 6, 2011

Walton County Sheriff's Office (WCSO) deputies today responded to a stretch of land adjacent to U.S. Highway 98 near Watersound after receiving reports of several stopped motorists at that location. Upon arrival, deputies discovered the motorists had inadvertently stopped traffic to take photographs of two large pigs and their 14 babies.

WCSO deputies remained at the scene to minimize the possibility of traffic injuries until the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission arrived.

No injuries have been reported by motorists or animals.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
pigs2.jpg

pigs1.jpg

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
So do the Wildlife Service people capture the feral hogs and make sausage, or what? I expect these are at least first cousins of the herd that tore up the lawn at Eden Gardens a coupla years ago...

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I saw the traffic jam--and thought "oh no, an accident", but it was just pigs...and people gawking :D
how funny.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Not sure who was brave (stupid??) enough to get that close to the "family" to get those pics but it wouldnt be me. I had a friend that was stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire in that same area for HOURS because the mom would charge him every time he got out of the truck to change his tire.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
I don't know the regs here, but in some places (especially where there's lots of farming), feral pig hunting season is year round, any time of day or night, any age or gender or size, any weapon okay..... I hadn't heard about the disease part. Au contraire, I heard the little ones make a fine couchon du lait...

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
My first thought was why is our S.O. 'protecting' these pesky pigs? They should've set up a firing squad and then had a barbeque for charity. :dunno:

Those little ones are perfect for spit-roasting. :drool:

Last edited:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I've heard they're not particularly tasty meat, which kind of limits the number of people who hunt them around here. Where I work, we're adjacent to Eglin Reservation, and a few years back we actually had to pay someone to trap them because they were effectively destroying all the landscaping on campus, and we also didn't want someone to get hurt because they got between Mama and her babies.