• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I beg to differ. It is about me and its time someone around here understood that. I have certain ideals and principles I adhere to and so do many others who agree with my point of view. So please don't tell me its not about me when the results of what you want will affect me and my constuiency.

:violin:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Glenda, this is her final term she's limited out after this.

Andy A, it's nice to see that you were apparently for drilling despite your actions, or did you forget that Marti was instrumental, a tool if you will, in pushing through the opening of oil drilling along the Gulf?

MommaMia

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2009
I had hoped this thread could discuss the impact of new billboards along our highway -- not the representation of Marti Coley. We cannot do anything about that right now. We can, however, alert everyone to the bill that is progressing through the legislative process.

I'm concerned about the definitions included in the bill "rural areas of economic concern. . ." Click on this link and read the definitions in this staff report. (Scroll down to the bottom of the 3rd page.) It seems to me that one could interpret the numbers in many ways and still avoid the billboard regulations.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
do you know the position of the Chamber of Commerce and the Homebuilders on this bill?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Glenda, this is her final term she's limited out after this.

Andy A, it's nice to see that you were apparently for drilling despite your actions, or did you forget that Marti was instrumental, a tool if you will, in pushing through the opening of oil drilling along the Gulf?
How many times does an intelligent individual such as you are, have to be told someone does not agree with a legislator all the time. Did you read my post saying I do not agree with billboards in a tourist area? As far as drilling is concerned, there are plenty of places in this nation we can drill and still allow the environment to be as most would desire. The environmental extremists will not even allow that drilling. We are going to deserve what we get and for many that will be walking or riding a bike.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
I've just returned from the Capitol in Tallahassee and discovered a bill that Representative Marti Coley introduced -- HB1371 "Billboard Regulation."

From what I can understand, the Bill allows exceptions to signs within tourist areas. I still cannot under the implications. It would be tragic if South Walton could be inundated with "tourist-related" billboards. From years past, we are unique in our ban of new billboards and that makes us "special." ??

Thank you Mama Bear and thank you SWGB for providing more information. I read about the bill and I am against it. So I phoned Marti Coley's office and left a detailed message. Marti has been to our house for a visit and a presentation on solar - so in my message I mentioned that and mentioned that the lack of billboards is one of the many things that makes this area so charming and one reason we decided to live here. I also mentioned that while it may look good on paper I would really appreciate her reconsidering the idea and that we are a friendly bunch and if tourists want to know where a place is we will be glad to help either by answering them on the streets and pointing them in the right direction or by this forum.

I hope that everyone reading this most important thread will contact her office either by phone or email and let Marti Coley know that the bill isn't a good one after all. If we don't voice our opinion she can't speak for us and if enough of us do express our opinion she may surprise us and do what is best for us regarding the billboards. If not, at least we know we tried.

I am also going to email her when I get off SoWal - just to have it in writing.

Here's her contact information:

Florida House of Representatives - Marti Coley

Gidget
createphp-1.gif

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Thank you Mama Bear and thank you SWGB for providing more information. I read about the bill and I am against it. So I phoned Marti Coley's office and left a detailed message. Marti has been to our house for a visit and a presentation on solar - so in my message I mentioned that and mentioned that the lack of billboards is one of the many things that makes this area so charming and one reason we decided to live here. I also mentioned that while it may look good on paper I would really appreciate her reconsidering the idea and that we are a friendly bunch and if tourists want to know where a place is we will be glad to help either by answering them on the streets and pointing them in the right direction or by this forum.

I hope that everyone reading this most important thread will contact her office either by phone or email and let Marti Coley know that the bill isn't a good one after all. If we don't voice our opinion she can't speak for us and if enough of us do express our opinion she may surprise us and do what is best for us regarding the billboards. If not, at least we know we tried.

I am also going to email her when I get off SoWal - just to have it in writing.

Here's her contact information:

Florida House of Representatives - Marti Coley

Gidget
createphp-1.gif
Thank you for an extremely civil and useful post. I have contacted her office to express my displeasure with the billboard bill.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
Is the concern about this bill related to the following text contained within the bill on the bottom of page 3 and the top of page 4?

"The bill creates s. 473.263, F.S., creating the tourist-oriented commerce signs pilot program. The pilot program is created in rural areas of economic concern.1 The bill amends s. 479.16, F.S., to provide that a permit is not required for signs erected under this pilot program.

Under the pilot program, a tourist-business that is a small business(2) may erect signs that meet the following criteria:

1. Signs not more than eight square feet in size or more than four feet in height.
2. Signs located only in rural areas along highways that are not limited access highways.
3. Signs located within two miles of the business location and not less than 500 feet apart.
4. The advertising copy of the sign consists only of the name of the business or the principle or accessory merchandise or services sold or furnished on the premises of the business. "

My question is posed as based on the sign dimensions referenced, as these "tourist business" signs referenced in this section of the bill are not the size of billboards.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Hmm, I'm going to have to do more digging. I believe this is actually related to a business on 231 that had issues with the FDOT regarding their signs years ago. I'll have to do some digging to find it, but if this is what it's meant to cover then it's designed to allow signs like "peanuts ahead" etc.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
This is what it is related to. Keep in mind that these are for road side stands and small mom and pop shops. This doesn't translate into 90 foot in the air LCD signs.