• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Esther

Beach Comber
May 27, 2008
Actually, the class size amendment requires 22 students per classroom for grades 4-8. So, the old ECMS building could house Butler 4th and 5th graders at the same rate and not lose "4 bodies" per classroom. Only grades K-3 must be at 18 students per classroom.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
I sure you will Mark but I truly believe that this is a very difficult year for schools. Until we see what the legislature does it can change dramatically.

I still say we fund schools with the wrong revenue stream, but thats just me I guess. We need more stability in revenue streams.

Thanks for your answer - part of my question was tongue in cheek.

We certainly agree on that point. I figured you were joking a bit.

In the 15 years I have been on the school board, funding has been all over the place. We have had exceptionally fat years and then exceptionally lean years. Many times back to back. It is very difficult to plan out more than a year because of that roller coaster ride associated with funding.

I agree regarding the legislature and funding. I think they are going to leave capital outlay alone. However, the operations side is going to take a large hit. That will certainly affect planning. You cannot build building and then not have the money to put teachers in them.

But, you never know until the legislature passes a budget goes home.

Thanks for the comments......

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I hope that you will consider your idea for "change in the school administration" very carefully. I remember quite well the superintendent from 96-2000 who was crucified for building schools that didn't have enough students. I believe it was your political party members who pushed the campaign. Carlene is doing an excellent job. I would hope that people would be a little slower to question her decisions than they were in this area a decade ago. But then again, as one of my favorite long time resident stated
"in South Walton we take one step forward and 2 steps back".

Unfortunately in any school system you are basically trying to wedge teachers, politicians, and administrators between children and their parents. That's a place most cage fighters, dare devils, and Bering Sea crabbers don't want to be. Knee jerk is the reaction in most cases and you have to be prepared for it and ready to soothe the mob.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Actually, the class size amendment requires 22 students per classroom for grades 4-8. So, the old ECMS building could house Butler 4th and 5th graders at the same rate and not lose "4 bodies" per classroom. Only grades K-3 must be at 18 students per classroom.

As this years 3rd graders move up to the 4th & 5th grades there will not be enough room for them in the current Butler/ECMS bldg... and to repeat about the ESE and PreK-d classes - we have more of those classes and are legally bound to educate & accommodate those that choose to attend. Because of the class size regulations & those classrooms & the future grades being so much bigger than the current 4th & 5th I think this decision is taking all of that into consideration. As it is right now Butler's music room is the stage in the cafeteria... moving to the current ECMS bldg will not be the end all solution. Those that think it is need to know more facts than rumors.

It's a lot more than just what's on the surface.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
As this years 3rd graders move up to the 4th & 5th grades there will not be enough room for them in the current Butler/ECMS bldg... and to repeat about the ESE and PreK-d classes - we have more of those classes and are legally bound to educate & accommodate those that choose to attend. Because of the class size regulations & those classrooms & the future grades being so much bigger than the current 4th & 5th I think this decision is taking all of that into consideration. As it is right now Butler's music room is the stage in the cafeteria... moving to the current ECMS bldg will not be the end all solution. Those that think it is need to know more facts than rumors.

It's a lot more than just what's on the surface.

good point. Why do you suppose there isn't better communication among all parties, especially parents of the children affected?

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
I'm not sure, but if all parents were involved in all the decisions of the elected school board then nothing would be solved. The reason there is a board is so there is a body governing the decisions of the school district. there is no way every parent is going to agree on everything - so it falls on the school board to decide & take the heat.

There are positions for parents to volunteer for that will help them be more informed, but no one wants to volunteer for them because the majority of the parents are working (some 2 jobs) & it involves time out of their busy personal life to commit to driving to DFS for meetings & traveling to the schools to audit things. If the parents out there that are available to volunteer to do it would let the PTO know what's going on I'm sure the PTO would then inform the parents of what is known.

I am not pro-Carlene or against her, but looking at the growth at Butler over the last 6 years it is obvious that there is no way all students will fit in the school under regulations and the decision shouldn't have been too much of a surprise. However - it should have been made earlier in the school year & parents should have been informed sooner.

When my child moves to the middle school for 5th grade I know she will be getting to use the latest technology in a new facility. Most of the now 4th grader kids I've heard talking are excited to go. The parents are the ones who don't want their kids to move... Just because they are moving to the middle school doesn't mean they will not be in 5th grade still. It seems to work for DMS, and the kids I know that went there in 5th grade are doing well.

Kindergartners ride with 5th graders on the bus now & that is a huge age gap. 6th graders ride busses with 12th graders now too and they are fine. Having 5th graders on the bus with 8th graders will be ok too.

Maybe I am naive, but I believe my kids will be fine. We have prepared them for all kinds of things in life. We talk about drugs, sex, strangers, bullying, fighting, standing up for themselves, right & wrong, and when they come home with a question about anything we answer honestly and openly about what's right & wrong about it & consequences.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
"it should have been made earlier in the school year & parents should have been informed sooner. "

that was my only point. I tend to think there is more to this than meets the eye, but regardless, the communication certainly could have been handled more appropriately IMO.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Maybe now is the time to organize a group of representatives from Butler, Bay, ECMS, Seaside, and South Walton HS. This group could attend school board meetings, keep up with issues that affect our schools, represent our schools' educational interests, and keep parents and teachers up-to-date on school district matters that affect South Walton schools.

Even better, this group could even write a summary of each school board meeting for the school newsletters. I think many parents are interested in knowing what is going on and how things work, but the process and distance is cumbersome. Also, many work and have kids in activities at night. I know I know, there were some meetings down here, but they were discontinued before they ever had a chance to take root. The DeFuniak Herald/Beach Breeze covers the meetings, but not all parents get the paper. (Another reason why everyone should subscribe to this paper- to know what is going on in Walton County.)

Communication is key, but we may have to create the way the information gets to us.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'll bet parents in other cities who worry about their children being gunned down or kidnapped would love to only worry about something like this.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
shuffle kids around like cattle, take away teacher pay/benefits, and then complain you are over taxed living in a state with no income tax. time to brew some bitter tea.