• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

port albert

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
I disagree!!

I have a real problem with folks who feel that we should give new restaurants a break when they fail to perform. If they are charging full price....the food quality and service should excel. In the Toronto area new restaurants often do "soft openings" with lower than normal reservations, lower prices and restricted menu...that way everyone wins. Full price for mediocre food and service....sorry!!

Apparently neither the food or service is mediocre at the "V". I personally reserve my "real problem" for things that are important enough to warrant such an investiture of energy. I am happy to see the "V" worked out the bugs from their opening night. I can't wait to try them out myself!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I agree that a new place should get a little leeway - especially right when they open.......but I also think that paying customers are not who you need to work out all the kinks on.

You've typically got 2 visits to get it together before you lose my business.

Last edited:

port albert

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
To Douglas

If you read my post you will note that I did not say that the food or service was mediocre. Contrary to many posters I do not post opinions on things that I have not experienced.

I was responding to the post that said one should give newly opened venues a break if the food and service is not up to expectations.

I do not agree....if they are not confident that their food, service and ambience will be up to expectations....they need to modify something......price!!!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Went the other night and had a wonderful time. I ordered the calamari and oysters, unfortunately they were out of oysters (which is fine considering I'd prefer nothing over old stale ingredients) so I replaced it with the Green Curry Mussels. Nothing like a disappointment turning into a great night. The mussels are excellent and the calamari is out of this world! The wait staff put up with our craziness and was very knowledgeable, helpful, courteous, and professional. All in all a wonderful night, this place will definitely be a hit.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
IMO between V and Caliza, the other 30-A restaurants are going to have to step up their service and quality to keep the "fine dining" crowd.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
IMO between V and Caliza, the other 30-A restaurants are going to have to step up their service and quality to keep the "fine dining" crowd.

I hope you're not saying that Cafe 30-A and Fire have dropped down a notch. I think we are blessed with a resurgence of great restaurants. I just wish I had a little more disposable income to enjoy it all.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
No, Fire knocked my socks off Sunday w/ some amazing Cobia. Don't usually eat at Cafe 30-A, so I don't know about them/wasn't talking about them.

Was just thinking that many restaurants on 30-A have similar price points and menu options, and I think in some cases comparisons between them and the new restaurants may not be in their favor - especially when it's the difference of a mile or a couple miles.

Ditto with you on the disposable income - I think most of us have less of it these days and so we are more careful where we spend it.