• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
If any of you guys really cared, you would have attended countless meetings with LKM at the TDC workshops which were open to the public and announced on SoWal.com. I love how everyone waits to have a voice AFTER the fact. Why not be a voice DURING the process. LKM even pitched this at a BCC meeting last year.

Where were these announcements? I just searched for "rebranding" on these forums and the only thing that came up was something about a "THE Beach" marketing plan.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
During my last five years before retiring I flew over 4 million miles sometimes visiting four different cities and states in one week. On more than on occasion I woke up and had to look at my ticket to remember where I was.

:lolabove:

I had similar experiences many times when I was traveling for work so much--but, never used a Logo to find my way...:cool: hmmmm, maybe I should give it a try.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
One of the most interesting comments made by the LKM presenter was her evaluation of the umbrellas on the beach logo.

Quote: They reminder her of "radiation warning signs".

????????????

View attachment 19253

Well, that certainly didn't hurt her company's chances of making $1.3 million .

Well, that certainly didn't hurt her company's chances of making $1.3 million .

If I remember correctly most of our business is repeat business. So, it does not matter what they call it, they are finding their way back. I still hear people confuse Walton County with Ft. Walton Beach. This will not fix the problem.

This is a waste of money pure and simple. Whoever approved the expenditure should be fired. We could have cut the bed tax or used the money to give gas vouchers to visitors and achieved more business promotion than this tacky saying.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
We could be looking on the bright side, people think their in Destin as opposed to Panama City Beach.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
We could be looking on the bright side, people think their in Destin as opposed to Panama City Beach.

Like sand though the hour glass...:roll:

This also looks a bit like a funeral home ad.

I am absolutely dumbfounded by this "branding"...the children of SoWal could have done a MUCH better job!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
If I remember correctly most of our business is repeat business. So, it does not matter what they call it, they are finding their way back. I still hear people confuse Walton County with Ft. Walton Beach. This will not fix the problem.

This is a waste of money pure and simple. Whoever approved the expenditure should be fired. We could have cut the bed tax or used the money to give gas vouchers to visitors and achieved more business promotion than this tacky saying.
They received over 8 million last night from BP which is not part of any other settlements. It must be used for advertising. I hope your idea of vouchers for gas will receive consideration. It would be far more productive than what I saw last night.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
One of the most interesting comments made by the LKM presenter was her evaluation of the umbrellas on the beach logo.

Quote: They reminder her of "radiation warning signs".

????????????

View attachment 19253

that's unfortunate because, imo, the beach umbrellas have become such a classic symbol of our community. there is a beauty in its simplicity. Many locals (and visitors) feel ownership of the symbols and many names that represent South Walton Beaches - which is the very reason we see so many concerned comments here.

It's true that we don't have an official city name (its not an incorporated area) - and we do have several nicknames. Whenever I refer to the place I live - I say "Santa Rosa Beach" - this may be a post office designation, but its also the name used by locals for many, many years - way before "South Walton". It's a nice name. South Walton Beaches is nice too. Beaches of South Walton, SoWal, SoWal Beaches, South Walton Beach, Santa Rosa Beach, Lower Alabama (haha), The Emerald Coast (beautiful), Northwest Florida's Gulf Coast (boring)... I like that we're complicated.

How to market? I guess we need to realize that the marketing scheme is only a marketing scheme, regardless of its price tag. It will not define this area or its people. Its a tourist-targeted advertisement. We will still be all the complicated names and logos and icons and whatever - as always. The Red Bar will always be our number one community icon.:cool:

Last edited: