• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Where were these announcements? I just searched for "rebranding" on these forums and the only thing that came up was something about a "THE Beach" marketing plan.

Here is one. (link) 300 views and only one reply by Glenda Wood. It was back in mid January. However, LKM spoke at a BCC meeting last year with their presentation of concepts and notes of things that need to be changed.

I see many who have a passive voice in things going on in Walton County. If you shift to an pro-active participation, you can be emailed the upcoming agenda's with hyperlinks for all BCC meetings. You can also request to be included on all announcements of TDC workshops. You cannot expect to sit on your hands and wait for things to come to you.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Nothing in those notices, which were posted the same day as the meetings, about branding or marking efforts. Nada.

I get all of the notices from the Walton County website - I also have seen nothing about rebranding ideas.

I'm with the crowd here - branding is NOT the problem. I don't care if people think they're in Cantonment when they come, spend their money and tell their friends.

I had a friend in Atlanta who came for a week in Rosemary - he called it Panama City. When I told him how horrified the Rosemary people would be, he just laughed - and he's a sales/marketing guy.

I think perhaps the owners of rental properties in South Walton ought to form an association, like the WCTA, who can watchdog where their bed taxes are going.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
One of the most interesting comments made by the LKM presenter was her evaluation of the umbrellas on the beach logo.

Quote: They reminder her of "radiation warning signs".

????????????

View attachment 19253

Her observation of the classic umbrella logo looking like radiation warning signs is an outlandish attempt to dramatically justify the need to pay her company for this process. It sounds like a stupid comparison to me, but I suppose it was $1,300,000.00 worth of shock value to someone. They look nothing like radiation signs; they like like umbrellas, or if trying to come up with something to associate them with, say starlight mints.

Here is one. (link) 300 views and only one reply by Glenda Wood. It was back in mid January. However, LKM spoke at a BCC meeting last year with their presentation of concepts and notes of things that need to be changed.

I see many who have a passive voice in things going on in Walton County. If you shift to an pro-active participation, you can be emailed the upcoming agenda's with hyperlinks for all BCC meetings. You can also request to be included on all announcements of TDC workshops. You cannot expect to sit on your hands and wait for things to come to you.

It was noted that that post was made on the day of the workshop. I can't help but wonder if, because of the negative reaction to the big blue signs a few years ago, the decision makers decided to start keeping these issues on a low profile to try to avoid too much public input and unrest until after a decision was made?

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
It isn't 6% who don't know where they are. It is more than 50% who don't know where they are staying.

I apologize for not being up to speed on this branding project & these stats.

Are the consultants saying that fewer than 50% of the visitors have any idea of the name of the community where they're staying, or that that many of them get it wrong? Or some of each?

My non-scientific sampling from the last 9 years seems to show that most folks know when they're staying in "Sandestin" or "Seaside" or "Rosemary Beach" for example, but it gets a lot more vague to them if the correct answer would be something like "Seagrove Beach" or "Miramar Beach."

I'm also under the impression that "South Walton County" has been in more widespread use the last few years, not just around here but in locales from Atlanta to Louisville to Oklahoma City.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
It would appear that we have multiple "branding" efforts in play for our area.

One must only wonder why the Walton Area Chamber of Commerce would be attempting to brand the area in direct competition with the Tourist Development Council.

We should all remember "The Beach" branding effort that has been very unsuccessful and was questioned by many in the past.

This is the link to the Chambers efforts.

THE Beach Florida, Walton Area Chamber, Northwest Florida's Gulf Coast, Destin, Panama City Beach, Pensacola, Fort Walton Beach, 30A, Mexico Beach, Port St. Joe

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Nothing in those notices, which were posted the same day as the meetings, about branding or marking efforts. Nada.

I get all of the notices from the Walton County website - I also have seen nothing about rebranding ideas.

From the announcement: "The TDC will host the workshop to allow for open dialogue and discussion on potential programs, opportunities and ideas for marketing that the TDC can take into consideration. The TDC will also share updates on the website and new RFP process. LKM, the TDC?s advertising agency, will be on hand to listen to your input, which will also be used as part of the brand evolution. Everyone is welcome to attend this workshop, especially individuals, properties and businesses serving the groups and corporate, association, and SMERF meetings.
RSVP: Pamela Watkins, pwatkins@beachesofsouthwalton.com ; 850-267-1216"

"I get all of the notices from the Walton County website - I also have seen nothing about rebranding ideas."

I guess you don't open the links. The latest update was at last night's meeting and the BCC's e-blast included a link to a pdf of LKM's ideas.

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007

Joe, having been involved myself in politics & public processes for many years, in several communities, I totally empathize with your call for people to get aware & get involved earlier rather than later.

But I gotta say, several vague references in this link you cite to "brand evolution" hardly amount to an announcement that they're planning to change from Beaches of South Walton to "To each, your beach."

I know it wasn't your announcement, nor your job to announce it, but this does seem like another instance of most SoWallers -- a pretty informed bunch -- hearing about this quite late in the game.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I notice that the announcement was posted by Kurt at 7:20am on January 19th for a series of meetings to be held on January 19th less than 1.5 hours later.

Although the post was made in advance I question why the post was not made by the TDC in advance of the date if they truly seek "participation" by those with an interest.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I have wondered for a long time why the various organizations in the county don't use Sowal in a more pro-active way? It would seem it is the most efficient, quickest, cheapest and easiest way to disseminate information having to do with activity in the county whether it's law enforcement or schools, or branding by the TDC or the Chamber.

Why not just post the links on Sowal?

Why not ask the questions here?

Post the answers here?

Why not more proactive communication, I guess is what I'm asking.

Anyone have an idea?

I don't really want to believe that the powers that be don't want the information out there...but, one does have to wonder why the area's easiest means of communicating is not being used by the officials to get the word out to the public.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Even if one decided to get on the mailing list, attend every meeting, get to know the people and process.. I still have to wonder if the TDC is really open to public participation and comments? Is the goal to conduct workshops, promote awareness of its projects and encourage community participation in order to generate ideas and consensus? Somehow I doubt it. And that's okay with me.

SJ is right, if you want to be involved then you have to make the effort on your own behalf.

Still, we have ownership of this community and care greatly about its future - we all have different levels of participation, we bring unique contributions and so many different ways to help shape its future. This particular issue is an advertising campaign. From what we've seen here, it's not going to win any awards. I won't lose sleep over it.