• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Aside from the ridiculous price tag, my question is why "rebranding" is necessary.

The area has been getting national and international press for fantastic beaches, parks, and events.

A significant percentage of our visitors are repeat visitors.

Rarely is some dumb slogan mentioned as the reason why people come here.

Personally I'm happy we are dropping "the beaches of" from the name, I think it's a smart move. It's a mouthful to say the whole thing. "South Walton" has a nice ring to it.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
So do the other 8 ways I tell people where I live.

Sowal, Santa Rosa Beach, Seagrove, Seagrove Beach, 30a, Florida Panhandle, inbetween Destin and PC, the Redneck Riviera.

Or as Mama Scooterbug knows it geographically during hurricane season "to the left of the bump in the armpit of Florida." :lol:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
that's unfortunate because, imo, the beach umbrellas have become such a classic symbol of our community. there is a beauty in its simplicity. Many locals (and visitors) feel ownership of the symbols and many names that represent South Walton Beaches - which is the very reason we see so many concerned comments here.

It's true that we don't have an official city name (its not an incorporated area) - and we do have several nicknames. Whenever I refer to the place I live - I say "Santa Rosa Beach" - this may be a post office designation, but its also the name used by locals for many, many years - way before "South Walton". It's a nice name. South Walton Beaches is nice too. Beaches of South Walton, SoWal, SoWal Beaches, South Walton Beach, Santa Rosa Beach, Lower Alabama (haha), The Emerald Coast (beautiful), Northwest Florida's Gulf Coast (boring)... I like that we're complicated.

How to market? I guess we need to realize that the marketing scheme is only a marketing scheme, regardless of its price tag. It will not define this area or its people. Its a tourist-targeted advertisement. We will still be all the complicated names and logos and icons and whatever - as always. The Red Bar will always be our number one community icon.:cool:

Well said, again. May I suggest the "Potpouri of South Walton", "the Gumbo of South Walton", or maybe" the Blended Beaches of Sowal". (I'm not sure I've enough beer to discover the right name, but "to each, your beach" sux.)

Last edited:

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
Ok, so let us compare and take a vote:

Old Branding: Beaches of South Walton - Northwest Florida's Gulf Coast

New Branding: SOUTH WALTON - TO EACH, YOUR BEACH.

Which do you vote for?

Last edited:

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
I know it ain't politically correct but I still like Redneck Riveria.

Coming from a long line of North FL rednecks it doesn't bother me a bit.

Of course, mama fell for a brown-eyed handsome man from Georgia...it happens.