• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Pompano have been biting in Sowal on sand fleas. Now if we can get the june grass to go away so we don't spend our entire time fishing pulling gunk off the lines, it would be a lot more fun.

Stinky's is running a Pompano tournament this year and I'm in it.

Trout and sheephead have been getting caught on live shrimp around bridge pilings without needing a boat. We also caught a 16" Flounder recently at the 331 bridge.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
He probably misspoke/typed and meant Sargassum grass that is prevalent this time of year.

We usually get a lovely two weeks between the two and there's no tourists to boot. :D

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
No, I meant June grass. It's been thick lately. Cast out a line and spend 5 minutes getting all the grass off. Seems way early this year. We usually see it in May. This is first I've seen it in April.

The Sargassum is also coming in, and thicker lately. I don't mind the sargassum as much as it gets on the line, but waves readily push it back off. June grass wraps around the line and has to be pulled off.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
We had way too much June grass last year way too late in the year. 3 weeks ago I noticed the telltale color of June grass in the water but couldn't see any. Must have been tiny. Not a good sign.

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
We endured the June Grass last year and one time before in FWB. I really don't think I want to do that again. I will have to keep a close eye on this situation.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
It has been disapating the past couple days. Getting more sargassum now than anything which is great for the dunes.

I wonder how the direction of the wind affects what comes in.

There was a portion of a tree came in this morning near Stinky's and I saw several boards also in the surf. Surf moving East to West.

Hope none of that came all the way from Japan. :shock:

polo

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
As a relative newcomer to the area, I did a bunch of reading up on June grass after I had it spoil a couple of fishing trips to the beach. From what I have read, it shows up when the water temperature gets to a certain point and we have south or southwesterly winds. Seems like both conditions have been present lately.

CarillonFitness

Beach Comber
Apr 21, 2011
Two nice grouper out of St. Andrews Bay this afternoon as well as a Flounder while trolling. I just left the pier in P.C.B. (pier park) and must have seen 20 Spanish landed in 30 minutes. The kids were having a blast! Well I'm off to the grill for dinner .