• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm curious if the TDC has ever filled the film commissioner position? Marketing aside nothing has done more for selling this area than The Truman Show. It moved Seaside from an Architects bucket list to a tourist mecca. I believe Eddie Bauer and Lands End still use this area for catalog shoots.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Great column from Kurt, should be a must read for those who care about the branding of our area.

I spent 25 years overseeing research, statistics, programming and marketing for media companies in the United States, including serving as a media consultant. I built brands that achieved #1 market share.

In ad agencies, sometimes the baby gets thrown out with the bath water when trying to freshen a brand. That's what this ad agency just did. We're selling sand here folks, and the TDC understands that. What the TDC is missing is a stronger ad message from their agency.

TDC, go back to the agency and tell them to try again, and don't pay them another dime of that $1.3 million until at least three different concepts are created and tested in research with at least 100 actual SoWal visitors.

Seeing words like "Appalachians" and "strand" in that proposed LKM text posted earlier tells me some ad agency copywriter has a Carolinas slant to their writing, i.e. the "Grand Strand" of Myrtle Beach. If much of the original research was conducted using focus groups in North Carolina, throw it out. Rest assured I recognize the NC lingo because one of our sons lives in Raleigh, our family used to live in Charlotte, and as a youngster I lived in Chapel Hill, NC, just down the road from Dean Smith and up the hill from James Taylor's parents house.

Simply put, TDC, your goal should be a brand evolution...not a revolution.

I disagree. We aren't selling sand. You can find sand in Destin and Panama City Beach. LKM is simply selling lifestyle and making memories. Of course you cannot see that in this thread.

Regarding North Carolina, if it weren't for the Appalachian Mountains, you wouldn't have a beach here in Florida. The quartz comes from those mountains.

For anyone who thinks this ad agency is pitching the Carolina's in their South Walton ads, I think you are missing it. One of the team leaders on LKM is from South Walton.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I disagree. We aren't selling sand. You can find sand in Destin and Panama City Beach. LKM is simply selling lifestyle and making memories. Of course you cannot see that in this thread.

Regarding North Carolina, if it weren't for the Appalachian Mountains, you wouldn't have a beach here in Florida. The quartz comes from those mountains.

For anyone who thinks this ad agency is pitching the Carolina's in their South Walton ads, I think you are missing it. One of the team leaders on LKM is from South Walton.

Information that was unknown until now.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Information that was unknown until now.

If any of you had as much interest to actually attend the workshops and presentations, you wouldn't be so late to the table.

Everyone wants to give the verdict, but no one seems to want to invest the time sitting in the jury box.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
One of the team leaders on LKM is from South Walton.

Really ?????

And who might that be ?:popcorn:
Go do your homework, Bob.

You gave one tiny segment of information which started this thread, yet you forgot to include the complete package. Don't get so lost in one line item that you blind yourself from the big picture.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't care who it is - my issue is with the piss poor results and money being wasted.

We need to be doing things smarter and cheaper, using local talent/businesses whenever possible.................. not reinventing the wheel every time.

Especially when a round wheel works much better than a square one - no matter what the graphs/spin say. :roll:

More and more publicity and reviews for our area seem to be written by people who are too busy promoting their own agendas/friend's businesses to be honest - and I think it is starting to cause some major credibility issues.

Last edited:

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Does anyone know if the TDC publishes their budget details online someplace? I'd like to see a breakdown of where the money is going.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Go do your homework, Bob.

You gave one tiny segment of information which started this thread, yet you forgot to include the complete package. Don't get so lost in one line item that you blind yourself from the big picture.

Thanks SJ - I will do just that. You used a connection from SoWal in a manner that was implying that this was all OK because one of the team leaders was from here, yet forgot to mention who that person was.

I posted what I had (wasn't given a copy or any handouts) and what I thought was relevant to the issue. Seemed to open up a discussion that has been wide ranging. (1378 views and 118 posts)

Ford and Chevrolet

Last edited:

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
30ashopper-albums-stuff-picture6020-tdcbudgets.png

Hmmmm... :scratch:

Walton County, FL - Home Page - Budgets