• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SJ, I'm sure there are many of us who wholeheartedly agree that the LKM pitch should reflect the SoWal lifestyle and making memories.

"Selling sand" was a figure of speech meant to refer to the process of marketing SoWal as compared to other Florida beach destinations that visitors could choose when planning a vacation, i.e South Beach. I first heard the term used by an official of Visit Florida.

I simply feel the materials presented by LKM that have been shown and linked to on this thread do not adequately nor properly brand SoWal as compared to other beach destinations that visitors could choose.

That said, I've seen LKM's work for North Carolina tourism, and I like it.

Respectfully, anyone who feels that the tag line, images, and/or branding created by LKM for South Walton and shown on this thread do not seem to capture the heart & soul of SoWal is welcome to click the little blue "Thx" Thanks button below this post to acknowledge they share my opinion.

Thanks. I agree that what has been presented on this thread is not adequately branding SoWal. I think LKM would also agree with you on that. What you are seeing on this thread is only a couple of strings in an entire blanket. Bob has seen only one presentation by LKM to my knowledge and that was at Tuesday night's BCC meeting. I haven't seen many other posters at the other meetings and workshops. There is much more to their presentations than is being displayed on here.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks. I agree that what has been presented on this thread is not adequately branding SoWal. I think LKM would also agree with you on that. What you are seeing on this thread is only a couple of strings in an entire blanket. Bob has seen only one presentation by LKM to my knowledge and that was at Tuesday night's BCC meeting. I haven't seen many other posters at the other meetings and workshops. There is much more to their presentations than is being displayed on here.

I have attended two LKM meetings plus the TDC Board meeting on Tuesday morning of this week at the TDC building.

I rarely attend BCC meetings at this time.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Do not use without permission

This is not bad.

Thx. I think it is solid. There are a hundred variations that all fall within the concept. I picture a montage of photos that could be used carrying the appropriate tagline based on the appropriate target market:

SoRomantic
SoRelaxing
SoPristine
SoRefreshing
SoDelicious
SoFun
SoExciting

I would also use combinations tailored to certain markets-

e.g.
SoClose
SoConvenient (Think a series of print ads for ATL, Birmingham, Montgomery, etc.)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I have attended two LKM meetings plus the TDC Board meeting on Tuesday morning of this week at the TDC building.

I rarely attend BCC meetings at this time.

My apologies, Bob. I thought you were surprised that this is just now coming out, when it was discussed at each workshop for months. Did you seen any examples of mock ads that looked good?

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach

The Connection - Sent Exclusively to Bed Tax Collectors

Brand Evolution Moves Forward

The TDC's marketing agency, LKM, this week presented an overview of brand evolution findings and recommendations to TDC staff and Advisory Council members, the Board of County Commissioners, lodging partners and the public. According to Jennifer Jenkins, LKM Executive Vice President/Client Relationships, extensive market research indicates a lack of brand awareness among core consumer groups, including previous visitors to the destination. Research from focus groups in target markets showed that shortening the name to South Walton from Beaches of South Walton resonated with consumers. The tagline To each, you beach. (grammar) was also tested among each group, with positive results. Focus groups consisted of those with and without knowledge of the destination. Both the TDC Advisory Council and the Board of County Commissioners approved moving forward through the three-stage process encompassing a strategic brand analysis, brand identity development and the resulting implementation of a refreshed, integrated communications campaign. Thanks to all who attended the public workshops on Wednesday. The next workshops will be held on Wednesday, May 11 and will include media co-op and research strategies, as well as new creative. Please direct questions about the brand initiative to Kelli Carter at kcarter@beachesofsouthwalton.com or 850-267-1216, ext. 129.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
My apologies, Bob. I thought you were surprised that this is just now coming out, when it was discussed at each workshop for months. Did you seen any examples of mock ads that looked good?

I understand that these are mockups and are not the final product. I am very confident that LKM will do an excellent job with the final artwork and media.

I thought this tagline would evolve and it hasn't. So far 98% of the people that I have shown this to have thought it was not right for this area. Reminds me of the Big Blue Sign fiasco repeating itself again.

I think the tag line is ridiculous, but I am just one.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Did you show them the variety of mock up ads which LKM presented at their meetings, or only the two you posted? Or, did you just tell them that the Beaches of South Walton would be replaced by "to each, your beach?" A hamburger wouldn't taste as good without the bun.