• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

How will you vote on the 1/2 mil transfer ?

• Yes

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The Walton County School Board will be holding a special election (referendum) on May 17th asking the voters of Walton County to renew the temporary transfer of 1/2 mils (approx 5.0 million dollars) from the capital budget to the general operating budget.

Will you vote to renew this transfer on May 17 ?

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Is this more money that would have gone to the elementary school at the new ECMS?

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Well it definitely would reduce the amount of money within the Capital budget for 2011-2012. The flip side is that it would reduce the revenue available for the operating budget by 5.0+/- million as well.

One would really have to balance those two after looking at their 5 year capital budget needs and projected revenue to see if they will have the necessary revenues to fund the addition if that is what they decide.

In the last renewal referendum only 6% of the Walton County voters chose to participate in the decision. That is the reason I placed the Poll on this site - to encourage discussion and voter turnout.

I really hope that Mark Davis will step in and give us his thoughts and his understanding of Jim McCalls projections.

Calling Mark Davis

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Well since I voted for Mark I'll follow his lead, he seems to be the most effective school board member.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Bob, I think you got it wrong. The special referendum is for the increased millage rate.

Sample ballot:

http://www.voterfocus.com/hosting/w... 2011/2011 Special Election Sample Ballot.pdf

Shall the Walton County School District ad valorem millage increase of .50 mill per year adopted by the voters in May 2007 for fiscal years beginning July 1, 2007 and ending June 30, 2011 be continued for the fiscal years beginning July 1, 2011 and ending June 30, 2015 for operating expenses necessary to maintain the quality of Walton County's public school system?

My vote would be yes.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I understand that Jim McCall wrote the language for the ballot.

It is misleading in my opinion in that the language does not explain that the. 5 mils comes from the approved capital millage.

The School system has vowed to reduce the capital rate to match the increase in the operating rate, therefore it is in reality a transfer approved in 2007 that sunsets in June 2011 unless renewed by the voters.

If the referendum fails the operating revenues would be reduced by approximately 5.0 million. With the loss in stimulus dollars for next year on the horizon as well - the net effect would be devestating in terms of teachers.

I plan to vote for the continuation of the. 5 mils. (Some of my friends just fainted LOL)

It is realty revenue neutral to taxpayers.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
.5 Mill Referendum

Please vote yes on the referendum. Bob is right. It is tax neutral. We are asking the voters to allow us to transfer a .5 mill from the capital outlay budget to the operating budget. As you know, the capital outlay budget is a budget where we can levy up to 2.0 mills for construction and maintenance of buildings. We have to ask the voters permission for the transfer every four years. This is the third time we have asked. When we first received permission from the voters to do this, we simultaneously reduced the capital outlay millage by the one half mill so there would not be a tax increase. In fact, since that time, we lowered the capital outlay millage again. So, this is not a tax increase. Just a transfer from one pot of money to the other.

This money will go to the operations budget which is the budget from which we pay teachers, buy materials, pay utilities, etc. We used the transferred money to initially raise teachers' salaries substantially so we could compete for good teachers with surrounding counties. We are there now. We now need the money to maintain those salaries given the State is continuing to shrink our operating budget. This half mill money is essential to maintain our current level of service.

As for the capital outlay budget, even after the reductions in that millage, I am confident we can begin the construction of the needed new elementary classrooms in south Walton. We have some other needs in the county which we can meet as well.

Lastly, someone asked whey the elementary classrooms were removed from a previous five year plan. Frankly, we decided to build a new ECMS and once completed, we believed the old building would provide adequate classroom space for elementary kids for at least three to five years. Obviously, as I stated before, we were wrong and we need to fix that as soon as we can.

Again, I don't think the transfer of the funds will prevent or slow down the construction of those classrooms. So, please support the referendum!

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
BIG BUMP!! We were at Artsquest this weekend and heard that the art and music teachers already been notified that art and music is the first to go if this does not pass. Seriously.

We also heard that the Walton County tea party people are working for a "no" vote. Ugh. Maybe one of them will correct me- I certainly hope so.

SO heads up South Walton. One of the things that makes us unique and cool is our strong arts- people move here because of it, real estate moves because of the artsy scene here, people visit and spend money here because of it- and now there is a real possibility that our kids won't have art and music at school! Wouldn't that be unreal and ridiculous? Vote YES on May 17th!