• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Tate10

Beach Comber
Aug 10, 2005
cleveland, ohio
I would not block 30A for pickups. If you are picking people up from a condo complex, local business, or one of the towns (Rosemary, Seaside, Seacrest, Alys....ect) all have spots that could be pulled over in to load and not block traffic on 30A. I have never been held up by a UPS/Fedex del driver on 30A. Kind of the same purpose dropping and picking things off. They usually find a spot somewhere to pull into.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
If your idea is that these will provide easy transport to your favorite/new eatery how many people will be within easy access to one of the programed stops? Or is it the plan that the driver will pull over for anyone flagging them down at any intersection thus leading to traffic congestion? This idea will quickly morph into one of unintended consequences where other people, who have their rights also, get stepped on in pursuit of the hotly pursued tourist.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It's a bus/shuttle. You have set stops.
It isn't meant to go door to door, so you might have to walk a couple blocks - like any other bus/shuttle.
And both locals and tourists can use it to get around instead of driving - especially instead of drinking and driving.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
totally agree with this statement. it has to have character, and the exterior needs to be designed or purchased and remodeled by someone other than the people who choose the Big Blue signs for 30A. Needs to be open air... with a bike rack on front would be outstanding. Imagine a tangible pay back for the 13% bed tax the owners collect and remit (damn, that's exhorbitant for ineffectual advertising, that has to include Miramar Beach in its thinking, so as to be 'inclusive')

ameliaj

Beach Fanatic
Jun 19, 2007
SoSpal (figure it out)/Seacrest
It's a bus/shuttle. You have set stops.
It isn't meant to go door to door, so you might have to walk a couple blocks - like any other bus/shuttle.
And both locals and tourists can use it to get around instead of driving - especially instead of drinking and driving.

I think that would be a perfect set up. I don't mind walking a couple of blocks to catch a ride to my favorite spots. We are on the Rosemary end of 30a and we have great restaurants, but so many times I would love to go toward Grayton, Blue Mt., etc but hesitate because we do not drink and drive. Its hard to go far afield if someone has to have iced tea with dinner instead of the lovely bottle of wine/martini that everyone else is having.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Last night in Louisville was the monthly Frankfort Avenue trolley hop. Several trolleys do a circuit that takes about an hour if you stay on it the whole time. We did that once. Parked at the Mellwood Arts Center and rode. Because Frankfort Avenue has scattered spots of clustered shopping/dining, it's great to have this. I don't know how many years they've been doing this. First Friday is the downtown Trolley Hop. We also have trolleys that run downtown daily - still free also.
Can't wait until we can trolley hop at the beach. I want to use for looking at other beach homes in areas I might normally get to park and walk around. Of course the Red Bar too:)
Ellen
F.A.T. Friday Hop

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
I think it is a great idea and about time. People tend to drink alot in this area and do not venture far from home sometimes because of it. This way people can go places and not worry about a getting a DUI. I do not drink and drive so I don't go far or do much. The small problems they may have getting it off the ground I think is minimal compared to the service. People will go more places and help the local businesses. I will certainly be useing this service if it comes about which I hope it will. Just my opinion on the subject.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I think this would be fine. I think the success will be in the business plan. With something like this, you could try out various strategies, paying attention to what people on this board say and elsewhere. You could try it out without too much to lose. A shuttle back and forth to the airport(s) with a competitive rate would be good. It costs a minimum one way of $65 for a taxi from the Panama City airport to get to Rosemary Beach area. Keep in mind that if a family of 4 is travelling together, taking the shuttle could become expensive so there could be family plans possibly. You'd want to figure out the different benefits/costs of people renting cars (expensive but a lot of flexibility and may not be too much more expensive than buying bus tickets for a family of 4/5 every day), taking taxis if a family only wants to leave their area 1-2 times each week, versus the flexibility of a van option like yours. I do like the idea of a pick-up and drop off at people's communities if the van parks off the street and doesn't get in anyone's way. Making the van more beach like would make it more lovable, though I might not paint it up until I tested out various options, did the advertising, figured out permits, etc.

So far, we've always rented cars for our family of 2-4 people because of the flexbiility, but in general we just drive from the airport to the cottage, go to a few restaurants and grocery shopping during the week, and then drive back to the airport. So, vans may be able to offer a better rate. We'd love to come to the beach without renting a car. And I agree that taxis and shuttles are a great service to keep people who are drinking off the road after visiting bars/restaurants.

Tate10

Beach Comber
Aug 10, 2005
cleveland, ohio
Airport pickups to 30A would definitly be part of it. Maybe something like $35.00 for a family and $20.00 for a single rider. Family all day tickets could also be offered for $10.00 and $5.00 for a single rider. Stops at publix for shopping also. I think the local bars/restaurants could benifit from people staying a little longer and having that extra drink knowing they don't have to drive.