• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BASSCYN

Beach Comber
Apr 30, 2011
ATLANTA
Hello all!
I come to SW every year with the family. I love to surf fish. Seems every year I learn a little more and have more success. We always stay at the Villas across the street from Yellowfin Sports. Always get some great info there.
While searching the web lately for surf fishing tips I came across many posts about shark fishing. Sounds pretty exciting. Considering giving it a try.

Any thoughts?
Suggestions?
Tips?

Thanks!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Shark fishing from the beach is not legal in SoWal. The reason is that shark fishing tends to attract sharks.

It was often done in the old days by taking a line out from the beach in a small boat several hundred yards, dropping chum and a large baited hook. Then paddling back as fast as possible. To be more fair to the sharks some people swam instead of using the boat.

:D

I believe the little boy who was eaten and killed by a shark out by Pensacola a number of years ago, died primarily because his uncle was chumming and shark fishing from the shore. Its illegal for very good reason.

BASSCYN

Beach Comber
Apr 30, 2011
ATLANTA
I have no intention of chuming. That obviously poses a much greater risk. I was just going to toss a piece of cut bait out. Surely there are other species that you use cut bait to fish for. Maybe I catch a shark...maybe someting else.
Hmm...
I'll call the folks at Yellowfin.
Thanks guys!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We were next to a guy in Grayton last weekend who pulled in 2 small black tips. Since we were swimming right, there, I was not happy. Guess he must have been using some sort of bait that attracted them if he pulled in 2 within an hour---

Please be respectful of other beachgoers and save your "exciting fishing experience" for a secluded beach and let us swim safely!

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Guess he must have been using some sort of bait that attracted them if he pulled in 2 within an hour---
It's doubtful he did anything which specifically attracted sharks. The sharks are there...always. I see lots of them, just swimming along with everyone else. Most people never notice them.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The guy was using frozen cigar minnows on a Pompano rig which will catch a shark, obviously, but that was not his intended target.

I just read an editorial in Florida Sportsman magazine that called for the elimination of prohibitions on shark fishing from the beach. The reality is that we already swim with hundreds of the beasts and there have been numerous unprovoked attacks on swimmers not related to chum, fishing, etc. (and numerous is of course relative because statistically you are more likely to die from hornet stings than be attacked by a shark). Not to be gross, but there are plenty of reproductive age women swimming in our water, and if it was as simple as 'blood attracts sharks and will attack what is bleeding', we would see many more attacks.

The real reason shark fishing from the beach is banned is because pictures of sharks scare the living crap out of people and the tourism folks don't want to have to soothe the nerves of scared mommies that their brood of little ones is safe swimming with sharks. Funny that Jenny mentioned the guy catching the shark, because when he let the second one go (he did not keep them), it darted back out to sea and a kid probably 11 or 12 years old began to hysterically implore his mom to get out of the water "because there was a shark out there". Yeah kid, if you only knew how many sharks there are out there, and way bigger than the three footer you just saw!

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Sometimes you can't get away from the sharks. Last time I was down, I was fishing for reds using anything from cut bait to sand fleas and caught and released nothing but sharks (12"-18"). I eventually gave up when a lady scolded me for catching sharks off the beach. All I wanted was a pomp or red but instead I got sharks and a guilt trip...