• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rbryan1040

Beach Crab
Jun 2, 2010
Does anyone know why there are so many loud motorcycles on 30a this week? Trying to sit outside at to have lunch today it was non stop noise. I called the sheriff and apparently the county has no noise ordinance.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
There is a convention going on in Panama City from what I have heard. My house is almost sitting on 30A so I know what you are talking about. It has been going on all day down 30A one after another. I can hear each one as it goes by inside my house. This goes on yearly and when it is over they will leave. Small price to pay for living here and only temporary. Have a good and quiet day, Benda

It's really amazing when you are driving back from the beach on Thunder Beach weekend. We have gotten into some interesting conversations with bikers while driving home. Yes, the noise can be annoying, but there's a bunch of interesting folks participating in this event.

I try to remember not to complain.:blush:

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I hear ya' BR (well, actually I can't hear sheet) about the good people that ride, but come sit on the f balcony and you will be deafened!!! DD and I can hardly hear each other and Molly is going nuts! :misskitty:

That said....have funn bike people! :wave:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
I hear ya' BR (well, actually I can't hear sheet) about the good people that ride, but come sit on the f balcony and you will be deafened!!! DD and I can hardly hear each other and Molly is going nuts! :misskitty:

That said....have funn bike people! :wave:

Whaaaaaaaat? What'd you say????:dunno:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Motorcycles must PIPE DOWN!

To quote Henry Higgins:

I'm a quiet living man,
who prefers to spend the evening in the silence of his room, who likes an atmosphere as restful as an undiscovered tomb, A pensive man am I, of philosophical joys, who likes to meditate, contemplate, far for humanities mad inhuman noise,
Quiet living man....

BUT LET A BIKER IN YOUR LIFE!

3c5734a0.jpg

I am sure these bikers are nice people with interesting stories, and they are out enjoying a good time. But if you read below you can see why we need laws to protect against this type of intrusion, and you can read how they are lobbying against such laws.

Motorcycles are an enjoyable and purposeful machine when operated properly. In the United States, motorcycles are built to federally mandated noise control standards. The reason why some motorcycles are loud is because riders modify the exhaust system or install an aftermarket exhaust system that is not street legal. A roaring exhaust system can be heard and felt over a wide distance, rattle windows and travel through walls. Millions of people are adversely affected by motorcycle noise.

Noise pollution is unwanted human-created sound that has the effect of being annoying, distracting, painful, or physically harmful. People exposed to noise pollution suffer from hearing loss, sleep deprivation, chronic fatigue, anxiety, hostility, depression and hypertension. World Health Organization, National Institutes of Health, United Nations and numerous scientific and medical publications recognize noise pollution and its deleterious effects.

The intense sound caused by loud motorcycles easily triggers an involuntary stress response commonly known as "fight or flight." This results in the secretion of adrenaline, with ensuing spikes in cardio-respiratory rates, muscle tension, and elevated blood pressure.

The largest manufacturers of motorcycles are Harley-Davidson Motor Company (H-D), Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, and BMW. The largest manufacturers of aftermarket exhaust systems are Samson Motorcycle Products, Vance & Hines, Yoshimura, D&D, and Kerker.

The Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC), and Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) are industry trade groups representing manufacturers, dealers and installers.

They have lobbied against proposed noise-pollution ordinances in communities across America. SEMA created the 'Congressional Automotive Performance and Motorsports Caucus' enlisting members of congress to support their agenda. They also enlist local motorcycle clubs to lobby on their behalf on political issues that might affect their industry.

With increasing negative news stories and noise code legislation targeted at the motorcycle community, H-D discontinued manufacturing non street-legal exhaust pipes using the brand name 'Screamin' Eagle.'

H-D had attempted to trademark the noise from its V-twin motorcycle engines. Ken Schmidt, a former H-D executive once described the sound of his product in three words: "Voice of God." He went on during a speech at a business conference, "Noise is good. Noise is the foundation of your business."

Some riders join motorcycle rights organizations (MROs) that lobby against motorcycle noise legislation. These organizations include the Motorcycle Riders Foundation, and American Motorcyclist Association (AMA). In many cities and states, there are groups that call itself ABATE. Depending on the chapter, the acronym may stand for 'American Brotherhood Aimed Towards Education' or 'American Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments.'

You can read more here > NoiseOFF - The Coalition Against Noise Pollution - Motorcycles and Noise Free America - Motorcycles
also, google motorcycle noise.

Gidget
soapbox.gif

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Yuck. Thunder Beach. My head pounds every time I am surrounded at a stop light.

On the other hand, this week has been an education for my kids in "what not to wear"and why lots of tattoos might not be a great idea. Kate has seen more butt crack, exposed belly flab, and floppy boobs in bikini tops for her young lifetime!:shock::shock:

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
Does anyone know why there are so many loud motorcycles on 30a this week? Trying to sit outside at to have lunch today it was non stop noise. I called the sheriff and apparently the county has no noise ordinance.

You called the cops because the motorcycle noise was too loud???Really? This is a vacation community, NOT a retirement community. Those bikers bring in alot of extra revenue around here twice a year so learn to deal with it. geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh. I mean seriously people, you want total and complete quiet, then move in the country with no neighbors for miles.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
You called the cops because the motorcycle noise was too loud???Really? This is a vacation community, NOT a retirement community. Those bikers bring in alot of extra revenue around here twice a year so learn to deal with it. geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh. I mean seriously people, you want total and complete quiet, then move in the country with no neighbors for miles.

All righty then!