• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

merbel

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Atlanta
I just had a disappointing lunch on 30a. But I feel like I should not post my real feelings here. I know how important it is to support local business and I really try to do so when I am here (which is more and more time each year). But it frustrates me to not feel like I can get true reviews here or feel free to express my views and give feedback to others on the local dining scene. I know the "if you can't say anything nice" rule, but for restaurants here to improve, there needs to be a reality check. I really don't want to spend almost $10 for a mediocre sandwich....
Any thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks!

merbel

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Atlanta
And I have had friends that have done just that and it was not well received. And does nothing to save the next person from a disappointing experience. I guess as long as their are so many people that accept the high prices and mediocrity, this will continue. I am happy for the availability of local seafood and a well equipped kitchen... ;-)

Green Knight

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2009
This thought process is why this board has become "useless" for whats good or not so good in the Area...that's why I trust Yelp...Urban Spoon...and other sites more for actual true reviews....It seems like anytime you say anything bad about a place on here you get attacked for being unpatriotic to the local places...I have left scathing reviews in here in the past for places like Jambones...JC's Off The Hook...Old Florida Fish House..Johnny McTighes..etc cause I want to warn people when places are not up to snuff and I appreciate when others do the same(Plays With Food for Example)...I would like to hear about your experience so I can see whether I need to avoid it when I am in town this week for a Wedding....

merbel

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Atlanta
Green Knight-I will shoot you a private message....

And I do know there are good experiences to be had here on 30A. Had dinner at Cafe 30A last week and the tuna entree was OUTSTANDING.

Green Knight

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2009
Green Knight-I will shoot you a private message....

And I do know there are good experiences to be had here on 30A. Had dinner at Cafe 30A last week and the tuna entree was OUTSTANDING.

Appreciate it Merbel....I also would like to point out I am just as quick to hype up a place when it is good...Stinky's..Louis Louis...Smiling Fish Cafe...Late Great Criollas..Borago..Great Southern...etc..etc...

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Merbel, I appreciate your trying to save the restaurant's rep, but you're not doing them any favors if you didn't speak up to management. If they don't know that there's a problem (and sometimes they truly don't) then they can't fix it!

I would suggest next time that you politely, and quietly, ask to speak to a manager privately if you don't feel like you can speak to your server for whatever reason (close quarters with other diners, the server BEING the problem, etc.) and voice your opinions/complaints. In every restaurant I've ever worked at, I know that we've appreciated being made aware of genuine problems so that they could be corrected. (I say "genuine" because we can't really help that someone brought in a brood of ten kids with horrendous table manners, we can only try to contain the situation as best as possible.)

We LOVE our local restaurants, and want them to stay in business... but we also all want them to be the BEST they can be! Help them out, and let them know if there's an issue. :wave:

merbel

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Atlanta
I agree speaking with management is a good idea and appreciate that perspective. However, there are restaurants here that I know people have either 1)spoken to the staff or 2)read a negative review of their restaurant, and they continue to serve mediocre food. And I would appreciate it if I had a venue for determining which of those here fall into the "avoid" and "go" category. And restaurants change-there is one here I used to love, but now would avoid. This may not be the venue for realistic, honest reviews and if that is the case, so be it. Or perhaps I will just avail myself of the private message venue.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
If you know people have NICELY spoken to staff/management and they are still sub-par, stop going there. Tons of great restaurants here, so no reason to patronize those that have bad food, service or both.

But you have to actually have taken some action to correct it/tell them about it first - you can't do nothing and then complain about them.

I have gotten very frustrated lately too - honest reviews are hard to find. It used to be someone could post about a restaurant experience and those opinions were either refuted or echoed, or they were quickly revealed to be an owner/employee talking the place up or someone with a grudge.

Now you apparently have to judge by whether several people have posted a good review or if there is a distinct lack of commentary about that restaurant - aside from links to articles or announcements promoting the place.