• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
A review of the proposed TDC budget for 2011-2012 includes a line item for $35,000 for 7 Solar Powered Trash Compactors.

big belly.jpg

Wow - was unaware they existed. Here's the item:

What, exactly, is a solar powered trash compactor?

Well, let’s go to the source. BigBelly explains it, simply, as follows:

The BigBelly® Solar Compactor is a patented compacting trash receptacle that is completely self-powered. Instead of requiring a grid connection, BigBelly uses solar power for 100% of its energy needs. The unit takes up as much space as the “footprint” of an ordinary receptacle—but its capacity is five times greater. Increased capacity reduces collection trips and can cut fuel use and greenhouse gas emissions by 80%. BigBelly also provides cost efficiencies from labor savings, fuel cost and maintenance savings, as well as environmental benefits from reduced emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants. Safe, easy to use, and designed to keep out pests, the BigBelly has already proven its worth in urban streets, parks, colleges, arenas—and in all weather conditions

Under its deal, Waste Management expects to sell the solar powered trash compactors to municipal governments and organizations responsible for garbage collection at other places like sports venues. In fact, there are numerous locations already across the U.S. where you can find the BigBelly solar units.

Sounds like another "Big Blue Sign" or "Lighted Crosswalk" debacle.

Wonder how they will handle the "Salt Zone".

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Looks cool if they last long enough to pay for themselves. It says all weather conditions so the key is the warranty I suppose. Good PR as it says to visitors that we care.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
looks like an interesting concept; I am all for more solar use. Would like to see solar lights in lots of places. They seem to work well for FDOT traffic signaling. Seems we could save a lot by using more solar.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
If the county elects to proceed with acquiring the trash compactors, it would be best to lease them for one year, evaluate the actual cost savings, then make a long term committment via a purchase. One wonders if Waste Management's costs will be reduced as a result of less "truck rolls" to pick up the waste at each compactor location.

As for solar panel performance in the "salt zone", well, as we all know solar power production is degraded when the panel is not clean. With that being said, the panels will have to be cleaned at least once per month to ensure maximum performance.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I like that they are trying to be green - but am concerned about where they will be used/maintained.

And is it $35K for all 7 or $35K each?

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Just thought I would pass along a little more information that might explain the situation better. This is from a call I made to the TDC BUT are my words so please keep that in mind.

Waste Management donated 3 units so that the TDC could conduct a pilot test before they commit to purchase. They will be tested throughout the summer and purchased at the end of the fiscal year if they work. The fiscal year goes through September 30th and the cost budgeted is for all units total.

The units will be tested at Ed Walline, Dune Allen and Miramar regional beach access. They will only be at the top side and will not be on the beach. Regional accesses are targeted due to higher trash volume.

Over 150 cities, towns, universities, state parks are currently using the Big Belly compactor. They are being used in the following areas in Florida:
Naples FL
Hollywood FL
Saint Augustine FL
Delray Beach FL
Boca Raton FL
Miami FL
Jacksonville FL

Saves money by reducing collection pick up intervals as the TDC is charged by volume not weight. Compacting will reduce the volume of trash. It will also eliminate unsightly overflowing trash cans at the regional accesses. It will also reduce pest invasion and odor caused by trash.

The TDC also pointed out that by being solar-powered they are not limited by electricity. As for cleaning the solar panels, they would be installed at locations where TDC staff cleans the restrooms on a daily basis so they will be monitored and maintained.

Hope this helps.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
Can we expect the TDC to issue a press release promoting the trash compactors and their anticipated success?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am for this idea, but wonder that we can spend $35K on trash compactors, but not on so many other things to improve the community.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I am for this idea, but wonder that we can spend $35K on trash compactors, but not on so many other things to improve the community.

Beach access development and maintenance falls under eligible expenditures as outlined in F.S. 125.0104.