• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GVM

Beach Lover
Dec 25, 2004
Here is the text of two separate email inquiries I received in the past couple of days through my www.findvacationrentals.com listing. This has 'crooked' written all over it. I'm sure most of you know how this goes, but if not, here's the scenario. They send a cashier's check for, say, $5,000 as a deposit on long term rental. Your bank accepts the check and credits your account. Your 'long term renter' cancels a few days later, asking for a refund minus a cancellation fee. You send the refund of, say, $4,500, or maybe, because you're nice...the full $5,000. A couple of weeks later your bank informs you the cashier's check is fake, your account is debited for $5,000...and whatever amount you've sent them is 'whoosh'...gone with the Gulf breeze.

HERE'S THE FIRST EMAIL:

Arrival: February 03, 2007
Departure: April 30, 2006
Adults: 02
Comments:
Hi-

My husband and I are from Boston. We are strongly considering
purchasing a retirement place in Florida after my husband retires next year. We are looking for a three month rental beginning February 3, 2007. Our plan is to make sure that's what we really want to do before committing to a purchase. I realize this may be a little early to be making inquiries for next year, but we want to be sure we have reservations well in advance. Neither of us are smokers. Is your property available for that time period?

Thank you!
Kristi XXXXX

AND HERE'S NUMBER TWO:

Arrival: February 03, 2007
Departure: April 30, 2006
Adults: 02
Comments:
Hi-

My husband and I are looking for a three month rental beginning February 3, 2007. I realize this may be a little early to be making inquiries, but we want to be sure we have reservations well in advance. My father-in-law may also spend part of the time with us. None of us are smokers. Is your property available for that time period?

Thank you!
Terri XXXXX

BOTH HAD YAHOO EMAIL ADDRESSES, AND NEITHER HAD PHONE NUMBERS. I responded to the first email, suggesting they call me. I haven't heard back, and I won't. These people aren't after nickles and dimes, so watch out.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks for the heads up! There is a special place in Hell for folks like this.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I must be awfully thick, but wouldn't a sensible person wait until the check deposited cleared the bank before refunding said amount? Just in case of a scenario like that? Also, for the same reason, I wouldn't give keys or passwords for locks away until the money was in the bank! It's disgusting that there are scam artists out there preying on people, but a little bit of business sense goes a long way, as you have very amply illustrated. You can't let your guard down.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thanks for the information. I had read about this before, but forgot about it. I believe our management company wouldn't refund any money until they received a check. But, it's always a good reminder because sometimes in a fast-paced moment or in a moment of good-will (people who do these things can be very slick and believable) one could simply forget that there are lots of people out there like this.

Thanks again. Useful reminder.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Most folks are very careful when taking a personal check, but many let their guard down when accepting a cashier's check, bank check, or money order. That's what makes this scam successful. Unfortunately. :doh:

Atlanta Bo

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
The way cashier checks are handled is different than regular checks . They often are not recieved and cleared for a few weeks by the issuing bank . By that time , you assume that there was no problem and why would you ? it is a cashier check , just as good as cash right ? This did not happen to me but a few of my clients had the unfortanate experience . However ,This was a few years ago , I hope that the banking industry has improved with this problem .

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
I must say that I have had some very good experiences with renters and 99% of my inquiries are very good :clap_1: :welcome: . But I have had a few real interesting "inquiries" for my place in the past year. :shock:

This is a well known scam and has been going on for a long time. There are several variations to the scam but it is always for more than a week, badly worded inquiry with spelling errors and often claiming to be from the UK, Australia or somewhere else overseas. The one common theme is that they will pay you for multiple weeks or all up front by cashier's check or money order (and then cancel) and expect a refund.

All of the self rental sites that I use have actually sent out emails to all owners and in their monthly or quarterly news letters warn people about scams and specifically this type. In fact, www.findvacationrentals.com has on their home page info about this very scheme. If you get these types of inquiries, just send them the email address of the potential scammer and they will be able to block this person from doing this again (until they change their "free email" account with yahoo, hotmail etc). Also, I do not accept cashier's checks etc...and if someone wants to do a last minute booking I always run that rental thru my mgt company becuase they will take a credit card and get the $$ immediately.

I agree that this is awful (it sucks) but it just another issue when dealing with the public and money is involved. :bang: I never give any directions or the address to my house out until the checks clear and I use a local rental/mgt company to give out the keys when someone is coming to town as a renter.

Nothing is foolproof but I ask for copy of valid, current driver's license, check with the same address on it as the driver's license and a few other things to try and make sure all is legit. But nothing is foolproof and if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is (giving all monies up front or more then your regular rate). As a 100% rule, I will not confirm anyone until all of the above and I have had at least one live phone conversation with the renter too. To insure that they are who they say that they are, I even get cell numbers or work numbers and try to call them at their house, then cell, then at work as I am working with them to confirm everything fot the rental.

Sometimes I will even ask them for a reference if they claim that they stayed in Seagrove and thru a rental agency. I may not call the reference but if they give me the info then chances are they are legit.

:cool:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Atlanta Bo said:
The way cashier checks are handled is different than regular checks . They often are not recieved and cleared for a few weeks by the issuing bank . By that time , you assume that there was no problem and why would you ? it is a cashier check , just as good as cash right ? This did not happen to me but a few of my clients had the unfortanate experience . However ,This was a few years ago , I hope that the banking industry has improved with this problem .

In the "olden days" about 2 years ago, checks had to be shuttled back and forth across the nation to be cleared by their respective federal reserve banks. Partially in response to the problems experienced by the banking system during the grounding of planes from 9-11, the Fed now can do this electronically. It introduced the Check-21 system in Oct 2004 to cut down on the "check float" and speed check clearing (down to a day or two tops). Some banks still won't let you touch the money you've deposited in the form of checks from 5-7 days. The "float" is now an advantage for the bank--not the customer. If you put in a bad check, you'll be hearing about it REAL quick now--since they want their "returned check" fees ;-)

Still, it is important for business people to be very skeptical. It's a gentle balancing act between being cautious so you won't get taken and being overly cautious and risk losing a good customer.

Jellyfish

Beach Lover
Jan 6, 2006
Atlanta
I thought a certified bank check was pretty safe (as long as it's not a fake).
I have also had a money ordered returned that was cancelled by the maker.
About the only thing that is foolproof is a wire transfer.