• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Thank you Beachsio for taking the time to provide details to this item - sometimes we are quick to make judgments or assumptions when we don't really have any background info or facts. Most of us really want to be supportive of community efforts whenever possible - and its much easier when we know what is going on.

Thank you TDC for investing in waste management technology to help maintain our beach accesses! It is important.

Last edited:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think they already compact the trash at the facility on Hwy 283, but need to confirm that. On sight compaction has benefits but maintenance is the question I have.

Based on Brads comments they will be placed off the beach, but I live 1/2 mile from the beach but outside fixtures her last about 2 years and if the bulb goes bad forget it. The bulb has corroded into the base and you can't get them out. Just replace the whole fixture.

The three donated units will allow for a cost/benefit analysis.

Why they do not send out PR releases on issues like this is beside me. They have PR people on site with social media skills in their Bio's but Brad seems to consistently provide info when issues come up.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I agree, Bob, why can't the TDC put out a news release on things like this? Or place info here on Sowal...it seems they (and other county entities as well) are missing out on a good communication tool..Sowal functions as our daily news source--so why not send out a news release...

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
I agree, Bob, why can't the TDC put out a news release on things like this? Or place info here on Sowal...it seems they (and other county entities as well) are missing out on a good communication tool..Sowal functions as our daily news source--so why not send out a news release...

Maybe the TDC Press Release could be entitled "TDC Talks Trash" .

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Or -

Waste Management Donates Solar Powered Devices for test

big belly.jpg

Waste management has donated three of its Solar Powered trash compactors to the Tourist Development Council to conduct a test of the devices to determine their effectivness in reducing cost associated with the collection of waste from our beaches.

The BigBelly® Solar Compactor is a patented compacting trash receptacle that is completely self-powered. Instead of requiring a grid connection, BigBelly uses solar power for 100% of its energy needs. The unit takes up as much space as the “footprint” of an ordinary receptacle—but its capacity is five times greater. Increased capacity reduces collection trips and can cut fuel use and greenhouse gas emissions by 80%. BigBelly also provides cost efficiencies from labor savings, fuel cost and maintenance savings, as well as environmental benefits from reduced emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants. Safe, easy to use, and designed to keep out pests, the BigBelly has already proven its worth in urban streets, parks, colleges, arenas—and in all weather conditions.

The units will be tested at Ed Walline, Dune Allen and Miramar regional beach access. They will only be at the top side and will not be on the beach. Regional accesses were selected for the test program due to higher trash volume at those locations.

Over 150 cities, towns, universities, state parks are currently using the Big Belly compactor. They are being used in the following areas in Florida: Naples FL, Hollywood FL, Saint Augustine FL, Delray Beach FL, Boca Raton FL, Miami FL and Jacksonville FL.

If successful the TDC plans to purchase 7 of the devices to provide a cleaner, greener system for our local beach visitors.

Cost of the devices is approximately $5000.00 each.

Last edited: