• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'll take cicadas any day over LOVE BUGS!

oh wait....they don't make noise...:roll:

very quiet little pests!!! love bugs are annoying. glad they don't bite or make noise. speaking of biting... I hear the horrible yellow flies have surfaced in SoWal! BR has given me an idea about how to deal with those mofos!

Last edited:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Kurt, I just this thread and boy would you be in heaven here. We have the 13 year Cicadas emerging now. They are every where here at my house. On everything, in everything and boy are they LOUD. It seriously sounds like a helicopter is landing in my yard. My doggies think they are tasty treats and have been eating the heck out of them. They find a hole in the ground and wait for them to emerge and then CHOMP! It is crazy how they know right where to look for them. I bet I have over a thousand holes in my yard where they have emerged. Below are some pictures I have taken of them.

At first I thought the white one down there in the fourth picture was Albino until I realized they come out of their shells like that. They hang on the shells until they are dry and turn black with those big red eyes!!! You can see the holes in the ground where they have emerged from.

Attachments

• 100_1628 (Medium).JPG
    100_1628 (Medium).JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_1627 (Medium).JPG
    100_1627 (Medium).JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_1625 (Medium).JPG
    100_1625 (Medium).JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_1624 (Medium).JPG
    100_1624 (Medium).JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_1626 (Medium).JPG
    100_1626 (Medium).JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_1629 (Medium).JPG
    100_1629 (Medium).JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
:love::love:
BR - you really called the police? omc that is hysterical!!!
Even funnier than that: I have a new Blackberry because my old one died. With the old phone I had to press the mouse button to make anything happen. With the new one the mouse button just needs to be touched. The day after I called 911, I had stuck it in my back pocket and accidentally butt dialed 911 and had to explain what happened. I was telling some of my colleagues about this, and as they were ROTFL, one of them said, "I guess after the call, the 911 operator told everyone, 'It was just some a$$ calling me out the cicadas.' " :lol:

Kurt, I just this thread and boy would you be in heaven here. We have the 13 year Cicadas emerging now. They are every where here at my house. On everything, in everything and boy are they LOUD. It seriously sounds like a helicopter is landing in my yard. My doggies think they are tasty treats and have been eating the heck out of them. They find a hole in the ground and wait for them to emerge and then CHOMP! It is crazy how they know right where to look for them. I bet I have over a thousand holes in my yard where they have emerged. Below are some pictures I have taken of them.

At first I thought the white one down there in the fourth picture was Albino until I realized they come out of their shells like that. They hang on the shells until they are dry and turn black with those big red eyes!!! You can see the holes in the ground where they have emerged from.
I never saw them emerge. Thanks for the photos. I have actually gotten used to the noise.

Definitely better than yellow flies. They were even on the beach tonight, despite the breeze. Big D is gonna have some big welts tomorrow.

The day after I called 911, I had stuck it in my back pocket and accidentally butt dialed 911 and had to explain what happened. I was telling some of my colleagues about this, and as they were ROTFL, one of them said, "I guess after the call, the 911 operator told everyone, 'It was just some a$$ calling me out the cicadas.' " :lol:

I thought you stated that you called the non emergency police number originally. If you had called 911 over bugs being too loud, its a miracle your not arrested... :dunno:

Last edited:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
The roar of the cicadas here in GA is making me feel like I have swimmer's ear and giving me a headache!

I heard the sound yesterday AM when I let the dog out. It scared her, and she didn't want to go out. I drove around and tried to figure out the source of the noise. It's everywhere. So I called the non-emergency police phone number, and a nice police officer told me it was cicadas.

I felt so dumb. I really don't remember ever hearing this sound, but apparently it happens every 13 years.

It is really "bugging" me. Even indoors. So I have earplugs on. :lol:
BR, you've got me smiling and giggling at this! Somehow I can just hear that conversation. I love this - thank you! ..:D

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
very quiet little pests!!! love bugs are annoying. glad they don't bite or make noise. speaking of biting... I hear the horrible yellow flies have surfaced in SoWal! BR has given me an idea about how to deal with those mofos!
And that might be?? ....................... or are you just going to call 911 on the yellow flies? ..:lol:

I need to look up that old yellow fly thread in case they're around when we come. I mixed up some vinegar water in a spritzer bottle last year just in case - but they weren't out when we were there so I don't know if it would have worked.

If someone has the link to that thread, would you post it here please. :D

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
And that might be?? ....................... or are you just going to call 911 on the yellow flies? ..:lol:

I need to look up that old yellow fly thread in case they're around when we come. I mixed up some vinegar water in a spritzer bottle last year just in case - but they weren't out when we were there so I don't know if it would have worked.

If someone has the link to that thread, would you post it here please. :D

yes, I'm calling the Sheriff to the yellow fly! They are definitely a severe nuisance! and you can try whatever mixture of pest control you wish, but the only real way to keep them from biting is to stay inside (these bites are worse than a bee sting, imo - it swells and throbs for days). Fortunately, they don't come to the beach. Those are the black flies that come out to the beach with the north wind now and then - usually in the Fall.

Last edited:
yes, I'm calling the Sheriff to the yellow fly! They are definitely a severe nuisance! and you can try whatever mixture of pest control you wish, but the only real way to keep them from biting is to stay inside (these bites are worse than a bee sting, imo - it swells and throbs for days). Fortunately, they don't come to the beach. Those are the black flies that come out to the beach with the north wind now and then - usually in the Fall.
I think you should call a lawyer and sue those flies for pain and injury damages. :lol: Seriously, though, Big D was in such pain from bites last night that he couldn't sleep.

Back to the cicadas -- they're gone! Now that I know they weren't terrorist drones about to attack, I miss their lulling sound. :blush:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think you should call a lawyer and sue those flies for pain and injury damages. :lol: Seriously, though, Big D was in such pain from bites last night that he couldn't sleep.

Back to the cicadas -- they're gone! Now that I know they weren't terrorist drones about to attack, I miss their lulling sound. :blush:

Their song is the sound of summer. We have them around very often - almost all the time it seems - in the woods of Pt Washington. I don't want to see swarms of them though - yikes!