• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

How will you vote on the 1/2 mil transfer ?

• Yes

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Sorry, I haven't interacted with your on SoWal, and it sounded from your first post like you were a memeber of the local school board, so I addressed you directly in my response.

Hypothetical question - what prevents Walton County from setting the operations millage to zero. Would we still receive funds back from the state for operations?

How much can we redirect? Now I'm starting to see this as a unique way for Walton County to invest locally in our own school system every year without the state meddling in our operations budget.

To answer the first question, on the operations side, we have discretion over one millage called the "local discretionary" millage. The state has a "local required effort" that we must set according to their dictated levy.

On the capital side, we can levy up to two mills. I am not sure how much we can re-direct (with voter approval). My recollection is that it only the half mill, but, I may be wrong about that.....It is a good deal for us because we are essentially (even after the downturn) a fairly wealthy county in terms of property tax base given our population.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
A couple of questions. Can you still vote at your regular polling place? Is it routine on this forum to vilify someone who may not agree with the majority of those posting here?

Vilify? Really?

The definition of that word as I learned it doesn't mean "repeated polite requests to stay on topic and start a new thread for your issue."

Act like a "weenie" and many will have an unsympathetic reaction to your cause.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Bob: I have not heard about the ipads. We get significant grant dollars for technology on occasion. Maybe? I don't know but will find out if there is any truth tot that rumor.

Yes, we voted (last November) to make some large changes and additions to the Walton High School outdoor athletic facilities. We initially discussed it as part of the new building construction but construction costs were high then so we decided to put it off. We have serious ADA problems and violations with the football stadium and the baseball and softball bathrooms (and access). We also have a drainage issue caused by the current field configuration which must be fixed. Those facilities have been constructed and added on to without any real planning for 45 years and frankly they are a mess. Also, the track is not competition worthy. The total estimate for the construction is approximately 6.5 million. However, we are doing some value engineering on the proposed plans and that number should come down. My estimate is that a third of that spending is for the ADA compliance, a third for parking lot construction and drainage and a third for cosmetic changes to make the facilities look like they belong to the new building. Oh, and we are making some changes to the field house. The one there was built by the football booster in DFS with their money and there are obvious Title 9, ADA and structural problems that we have to address. Those percentages are just my estimate. I am not including any money for structural changes (for safety and other reasons) because I don't have numbers on those improvements.

By the way, we are going to have to do some of the ADA and Title 9 changes to other outdoor facilities in the county at Freeport and South Walton high schools and Walton Middle School (we have some other problems there too we need to address soon). We want to do some cosmetic stuff at the facilities at Freeport High and South Walton High, but, those changes won't be nearly as extensive as are needed at Walton High School. And yes Bob, I spearheaded this project, but, it is sorely needed. And, very little taxpayer money has been spent in the past on the construction of the athletic facilities (except the gym, of course). Most of it was done with donated funds.

And, it will not interfere with the construction of new classrooms in south Walton or Walton Middle School.

weeniedawg

Banned
Dec 18, 2010
Bruce
Vilify? Really?

The definition of that word as I learned it doesn't mean "repeated polite requests to stay on topic and start a new thread for your issue."

Act like a "weenie" and many will have an unsympathetic reaction to your cause.

I resemble that remark.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The Superintendent was quoted as making the iPad comment during her presentation to the Tea Party. I was not there (not a member) but more than one person contacted me about that. I believe that the statement was that students would not read from books anymore - they were now accustomed to computer screens.

The stadium is your baby and I understand ADA requirements must be addressed, but give me a break Mark 6.3 or even 2.1 is in stark contrast to other capital needs. How many buses do we still have that are not air conditioned and how many would 2.1 million buy?

Priorities seem a little out of whack.

I still say vote "Yes" tomorrow.

Go figure.

Last edited:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Its complicated !

(1) If the district school tax is not provided in the General Appropriations Act or the substantive bill implementing the General Appropriations Act, each district school board desiring to participate in the state allocation of funds for current operation as prescribed by s. 1011.62(12) shall levy on the taxable value for school purposes of the district, exclusive of millage voted under the provisions of s. 9(b) or s. 12, Art. VII of the State Constitution, a millage rate not to exceed the amount certified by the commissioner as the minimum millage rate necessary to provide the district required local effort for the current year, pursuant to s. 1011.62(4)(a)1. In addition to the required local effort millage levy, each district school board may levy a nonvoted current operating discretionary millage. The Legislature shall prescribe annually in the appropriations act the maximum amount of millage a district may levy.
(2) In addition to the maximum millage levy as provided in subsection (1), each school board may levy not more than 1.5 mills against the taxable value for school purposes for district schools, including charter schools at the discretion of the school board, to fund:
(a) New construction and remodeling projects, as set forth in s. 1013.64(3)(b) and (6)(b) and included in the district’s educational plant survey pursuant to s. 1013.31, without regard to prioritization, sites and site improvement or expansion to new sites, existing sites, auxiliary facilities, athletic facilities, or ancillary facilities.
(b) Maintenance, renovation, and repair of existing school plants or of leased facilities to correct deficiencies pursuant to s. 1013.15(2).
(c) The purchase, lease-purchase, or lease of school buses.
(d) The purchase, lease-purchase, or lease of new and replacement equipment; computer hardware, including electronic hardware and other hardware devices necessary for gaining access to or enhancing the use of electronic content and resources or to facilitate the access to and the use of a school district’s electronic learning management system pursuant to s. 1006.281, excluding software other than the operating system necessary to operate the hardware or device; and enterprise resource software applications that are classified as capital assets in accordance with definitions of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board, have a useful life of at least 5 years, and are used to support districtwide administration or state-mandated reporting requirements.
(e) Payments for educational facilities and sites due under a lease-purchase agreement entered into by a district school board pursuant to s. 1003.02(1)(f) or s. 1013.15(2), not exceeding, in the aggregate, an amount equal to three-fourths of the proceeds from the millage levied by a district school board pursuant to this subsection. For the 2009-2010 fiscal year, the three-fourths limit is waived for lease-purchase agreements entered into before June 30, 2009, by a district school board pursuant to this paragraph.
(f) Payment of loans approved pursuant to ss. 1011.14 and 1011.15.
(g) Payment of costs directly related to complying with state and federal environmental statutes, rules, and regulations governing school facilities.
(h) Payment of costs of leasing relocatable educational facilities, of renting or leasing educational facilities and sites pursuant to s. 1013.15(2), or of renting or leasing buildings or space within existing buildings pursuant to s. 1013.15(4).
(i) Payment of the cost of school buses when a school district contracts with a private entity to provide student transportation services if the district meets the requirements of this paragraph.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
The Superintendent was quoted as making the iPad comment during her presentation to the Tea Party. I was not there (not a member) but more than one person contacted me about that. I believe that the statement was that students would not read from books anymore - they were now accustomed to computer screens.

The stadium is your baby and I understand ADA requirements must be addressed, but give me a break Mark 6.3 or even 2.1 is in stark contrast to other capital needs. How many buses do we still have that are not air conditioned and how many would 2.1 million buy?

Priorities seem a little out of whack.

I still say vote "Yes" tomorrow.

Go figure.

Thanks Bob for the yes vote. We can discuss those capital needs at length. I will tell you that I will not vote to undertake that project until I know our classroom needs can be met. I really believe we can. Believe it or not, I am not a big fan of air-conditioned buses. There are some issues with them. But, we have voted to buy them as we replace our current fleet each year. Thanks again....

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
And I'm no fan of 6.3 million dollar football stadiums. LOL

There must be a need for air Mark the bus that comes by my house daily at about 45 mph says he is trying to keep the bus cool. Live on a dead end street that has Slow kids at play 25mph signs.

Must have been a top fuel driver in another life. Lol