• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Do you approve of the new lottery system created by the BCC?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
I haven't bumped in a single resident who agrees with this new lottery system. Can someone explain how a commission of representatives came up with what must be one of the most unpopular decision and county commission has ever made in Walton County?

I for one will be voting against all commissioners who voted for this new system in the next election.

Voted for:

Scott Brannon
Cecilia Jones
Sara Comander

Voted against:

Larry Jones

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
The objective of the commission is to phase out driving on the beach....slowly. Through the years as this area has grown, the unfortunate, undeniable aspect is regulation to tame the masses. And the folks that are against driving on the beach far out number those that are for it. I am FOR driving on the beach. Growing up in Sowal, we were able to drive the entire beach without a permit. Then the allowable driving areas began to shrink. Now the only area is Grayton Beach. Driving on the beach is the only thing left for the people that live here to enjoy and I will miss it when it is completely not allowed. Same thing with bon fires and dogs on the beach. Progress is a *****.

If the commission can be convinced that your vote will count, then we better speak up. Those that are against driving on the beach have a louder voice than we do right now, but I think that can change. And it doesn't matter who the next commissioners are, they will go with the loudest voice.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Their bigger worry with this at one of the BCC meetings seemed to be a lack of gov't income, and I suggested that they consider a loading permit, which would allow people to drive onto the beach, unload or load their gear, then drive off the beach. This permit could solve their problem of too many vehicles on the beach while generating more revenue, and accommodating beach goers.

This entire beach permit fiasco was not really well-thought during the process. I think the funniest thing about the entire fiasco is that the one person who pushed to change the rules is now stuck with only one permit for his five or six vehicles.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
I'm amazed three people have voted yes in the poll. Maybe some of the proponents can speak up and explain why they think this is a good thing?