• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

twilkerson

Beach Comber
May 19, 2011
Shepherdsville, KY
We've been to the beaches of south walton several times, but our daughter previously was still eating baby food and dining out was not an issue. Does anyone who has a peanut and tree nut allergy know of any safe restaurants down there? I know many fry in peanut oil. My daughter is anaphylactic to traces of peanuts. We may just stick to preparing food in our condo and bringing it out, but we are going to be with a large group of family and it would be nice if there was one or more restaurants down there we could feel safe letting our daughter eat at.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
hope some of the restaurants will post or others who have experienced this; we have the same problem with one of my grandchildren and it makes eating out as a family almost impossible.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
We were at Shorty's and overheard someone ask the waiter what type of oil they used and he said not peanut oil. Hope this helps.

Just call ahead to your restaurant of of choice and ask to speak to the manager (no offence to the Hosts out there, but sometimes they just give you the answer they think you want to hear ). Any manager along 30A will be more than willing to give you accurate info about their kitchens product use.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I have been trying to think of restaurants and between salads, desserts, and "Encrusted" items am having a hard time finding a completely nut free environment.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
yeah, it is a real problem particularly if one is allergic to just a trace of the nuts...ice cream shops are out--has made life very different for my grandson. Some of his favorite things to do he can no longer do...so that means no one in the family can either. It is difficult.

twilkerson

Beach Comber
May 19, 2011
Shepherdsville, KY
Glenda, I can definitely sympathize with you. How old is your grandson?
It's sad to not be able to take my daughter over to the ice cream shop and get a cone, or all the other small things we did when we were kids that were such a treat. I also have a 5 year old and it's sad to always tell him he can't have something because she can't have it (he has no food allergies). I look at other children eating whatever, where ever and I wish my daughter could. I bought a cuisinart ice cream machine and I make it at home, but there's nothing like just going and getting some for a daytime treat, or ordering food at a restaurant and be able to eat your food and not having to be worried sick that something could happen at any moment in time.

I feel so badly for children (and adults) with peanut allergies. Just out of curiousity, twilkerson and Glenda, have your children/grandchildren's schools banned other students from bringing PB&J sandwiches in their lunch boxes? That has been an issue here in Georgia.

So sorry.

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
OK, I'll (once again) prove my ignorance. Where & when did such severe allergies to even traces of peanuts arise? When I was a kid in the '60s, I don't believe this existed... we sure never heard of it anyway.

My wife was on a plane last month & as the plane was pushing back, the PA announced that no one in rows 1-22 could even think of pulling out anything peanut-containing, since a child in the midst of those rows was allergic. That was a new one to her.

twilkerson

Beach Comber
May 19, 2011
Shepherdsville, KY
@ Passin Thru, I don't know when it happened. It wasn't an issue when I was a child, But it's becoming more and more common and I don't know why.
@ Beach Runner, my daughter is only 2, but because of the severity of her allergy she will not attend preschool or Elementary school. I will be homeschooling her. I live "in the country" and they're not very knowledgeable out here on food allergies. They don't ban it at the school my 5 year old will be attending in the fall. They only have a "peanut free table" in the lunchroom, which is not adequate to those children who are allergic to the airborne peanut particles. Plus I think it is really sad to sit a child at the "peanut free table" while all the other children sit together. When I went to tour the school last month for my 5 year old (who has know known food allergies) I saw that they had a snack that went around to all the classrooms in the afternoon and there were butterfingers and plenty of other peanut containing products on it. I asked about the children with the peanut allergies and how the snack cart was handles and they said it was up to the teacher of each particular classroom. they might sit the peanut allergic child across the room from the kids eating butterfingers and such. In the neighboring county that I grew up in there are actual nut-free schools that make sure products that contain even traces are not brought in. I would love to send my daughter there, but it is a half hour away and is a private school. I have heard of other public schools in the neighboring county banning the PB, but I think it depends on the school and what they want to do.