• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com

1. People like to drink here more then they drink at home.
2. Oli at the Red Bar is a really good soccer player
3. There are more banks in South Walton than Restaurants.
4. There use to be more Real Estate offices than banks.
5. The area’s 15 coastal dune lakes are so rare that they are only found in Beaches of South Walton and remote portions of Africa and Australia.
6. Being the unlucky one to paddle out shark bait on a surfboard to the second sandbar is not fun.
7. Being the unlucky one to do it after a “big one” got away is really not fun.
8. More than 40% of South Walton is preserved through state parks.
9. For the Health of it is probably one of the best run businesses on 30A.
10. The owner Ed is pretty crazy and will probably kick my butt for writing this.
11. Hwy 83 going into Blue Mountain was once called Dump Road. That’s where the dump was.
12. The beach access at Goat feathers use to be called Bare Tit Beach. You can probably figure that one out.
13. An Old Haunted House sat along 30A where One Seagrove Place is now.
14. Many old time locals hardly ever go to the beach.
15. Their loss.
16. Yes, there are gators in all the lakes.
17. Yes, there are sharks in the Gulf. Duh….
18. 30A attracts many characters. It’s like they find this place and never leave.
19. Double red flags mean stay out of the water. Just because you can swim does not mean you should jump in unless you have a surfboard attached to your leg and you are extremely comfortable in the water.
20. Read number 19 again.
21. The forest fire in the 80’s was started by a couple young kids ;-)
22. The only way to launch a boat in the Gulf Of Mexico is from the beach in Grayton. Just because you have a boat and 4 wheel drive does not mean you should attempt this.
23. Home values have over corrected in certain areas.
24. Yes, we occasionally have waves here. Good waves!
25. One Seagrove Place is a great stairway to run up and down on after a great yoga class at Balance Health Studio. Be prepared to be really sore!
Thanks for taking the time to read my list of random 30A items. I love it here and love to share some old school randomness! If you want more, feel free to holler. I could go on and on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
27. The above referenced haunted house was built, and never lived in. It was located on the "red clay road".
28. There was once a "disco" in Seagrove called Beachview, which later became Collaborations.
29. There was, at one time, a bar in the Brickyard. It didn't last long.
30. The Red Bar is located on the site of "The Short Branch Saloon", which was wiped out by Hurricane Eloise, way, way, before Hurricane Opal.
31. The first lots in Seaside were for sale for $18,000.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
32. There once was a YMCA camp on the north side of Oyster Lake in Dune Allen called Camp Harold Baird. It sat where the condos are that you can see from 30A. I went the year it closed...1974.

33. Harold Baird was one of the first builders in the area. While not very innovative, a number of his homes still exist including ours in SRB.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Is that the same Baird who may now have a road named after him in Beach Highlands?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
34. You used to be able to shop for groceries while enjoying a draft beer at the South Walton Superette. Publix is great, but this is one thing you can't do there.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
This is two posts now where the first word in the second sentence I type is repeated. Is it me?